Friday, June 5, 2009

ONCE A FAN, ALWAYS A FAN

This week is the favorite of many Country Music fans throughout the world as Nashville rolls out the red carpet for the CMA Music Festival. Once known as "Fan Fair," the event has grown steadily each year since its' inception. Fans come to Music City to see their favorites in concert, but also to possibly get to spend a few moments with them and get their autograph and a snapshot with them. To fans of other genres of music, it might sound a little hokey….I mean, can you imagine Madonna, Justin Timberlake, and Beyonce all signing autographs and meeting fans in one place at one time?

It's truly a unique experience, and though I spend many nights up at 12 or 1 in the morning trying to come up with words that some of you might find entertaining or informative….I've got to tell you…..I wouldn't be in the business if I wasn't myself a fan at one point.

To be honest, I can't tell you where my love of the music business and the musicians who excel at it started. My parents were both music fans, but it in no way was something that either was passionate about. Well, my mother did have a crush on Marty Robbins, and my father on Barbara Mandrell (some things are just hereditary, I guess!)…..but music wasn't the big thing that commanded their interest, like it did mine. I remember so many Saturdays growing up watching TV shows like Hee Haw, That Good Old Nashville Music, and Nashville On The Road. Then, there was the music coming over the radio growing up……."The Gambler," "Don't It Make My Brown Eyes Blue," "Sleeping Single In A Double Bed,"….songs that simply put…were classics.

Even my pre-teen reading habits were dominated by books like Fifty Years Of The Grand Ole Opry, Sing Your Heart Out Country Boy, and Bill Malone's Country Music, USA. Once I hit thirteen, and needed to be studying my school books….Billboard, Country Song Roundup, and Music City News took precedence.

I say all that to say this….Though I do consider myself to be a professional, I definitely consider myself to be very blessed to do what I do. Though the past few months have had their challenges, and I'm not totally sure where I'll be in six months career-wise, there's something very cool about what I do….that I wouldn't love as much….if I didn't love the music.

If an eight-year old hadn't gotten an autographed picture of Kenny Rogers in the mail after sending him a fan letter……If a eleven-year old hadn't won tickets to a Hank Williams, Jr. concert that his father took him and his brother to….and if they hadn't killed an hour walking in the Magnolia Lobby of the Opryland Hotel where he first saw WSM-AM DJ in action…….If that thirteen year old's father hadn't carried him to his first Fan Fair in June of 1987……I wouldn't be (for better or worse, and depending on who you ask or my bank account, there are varying answers) who I am today.


Since this is CMA Week, I thought I would share a few memories about my Fan Fair experiences. Seeing so many of the stars up close and personal was an overwhelming experience……but meeting Reba McEntire was one better than that. I was smitten for many years…..Getting to meet Keith Whitley was one of those things you don't forget. I also remember in 1993, like many at the Fairgrounds….I was scurrying over to the building where some guy named Garth was signing….I wasn't expecting to get even close to an autograph…just a glimpse of the biggest star of the day. As I was walking in that direction, I passed by the Warner Brothers booth. I saw a tall blonde who was signing autographs…albeit one I had never heard of, as her first single was still a few months from being released….I got her autograph that year, and the next year…there was a five-hour wait to spend one minute with Faith Hill. If there's a morale to the story….take time to meet the newcomers…because you never know.

You also never know about stars that are on the other end of fame as well. As I told you, Hee Haw was one of my favorite shows growing up. As I was walking around the exhibit hall back in 1987, I saw the great comedian Archie Campbell signing autographs. Probably on my way to see how long the line was for Randy Travis, I thought to myself "I would love to get his autograph….Maybe next year." Less than three months later, he was dead. The legendary Conway Twitty hosted an autograph party each year at his record store on Division…and I never went…..Those are two of my biggest Fan Fair regrets…Never turn down a chance to meet a legend, because likewise….you never know!

One of the blessings about my job (s) is that I have gotten to meet some of my heroes over the years, and in some cases…..get to call them friends. It's something that I feel very fortunate, and look forward to many more years of doing in the future.

So…welcome to Nashville, all who enter ye this week. There are things that will happen this week that you will have memories of for the rest of your lives. I can say to you first-hand that I've been there. Have a great week, but remember…bring sunscreen!.....Those CMA Music Festival / Fan Fair sunburns can hurt!