Friday, August 14, 2009

IT'S A BIG GAME....I MEAN, A BIG ONE!

It's hard to believe, but the calendar on the wall proves it. August 21 is just a few days away. It's a big day....particularly if you live in Dickson County or follow the Dickson County Cougars or the Creek Wood Red Hawks. That night, at 7:30pm, the two schools will face each other on the football field for the very first time.

In fact, it will mark the first time since 1971 that two High Schools have taken on each other in football field in Dickson County, and by my calculations....that has been a while.

I remember back in January, I was hosting the Cougars Coaches Show, when Assistant Coach Joey Holley brought the schedule in, and it started off.....August 21.....at Creek Wood. It was something that seemed so far away, and here it is.

There are a lot of people who are interested in this game. Being the "New" school, which Creek Wood will still be in twenty years, they would love to assume bragging rights for the year, while Dickson County fans want to establish that they are the top team in the county, once and for all---or at least until August 20, 2010...when Creek Wood comes to Cougar Hill.

Regardless of whatever happens on Friday night, I will tell you this. I am looking forward to it. The atmosphere will be unlike any game I have ever broadcasted in my fourteen years doing it. These two teams playing each other is a good thing, and I hope it spreads to other sports in the near future. I have fond memories of a Girls' basketball game over at Jones Creek a few years ago when Candace Green made a shot just past mid-court to force OT---which the Lady Cougars won! (It might not be as fond a memory had it not went in....but hey, I do have my Cougar Pride too!)

There has been an undeniable amount of hype about this game. It seems that the sportswriters for the DICKSON HERALD (of which I am proud to be one) have written about 26,234 words about this game....OK, maybe that's an estimate.....but I know I have written the terms "County Rival," "August 21," and "Bragging Rights" a few times.....Well, I've got to admit.....I'm pulling for Dickson County!

OK....That last sentence might not have surprised anyone, but I did have to say it. Since 1989, I have been associated with the school as a student, a broadcaster, and a writer....and it's something I do not take lightly. I hope the Cougars bring home the bacon, so to speak.....At the same time, I have a lot of respect for Creek Wood. Janie Jones has done an outstanding job as Principal there, and just as Ed Littleton bleeds orange and blue...Here is blue and red. There are quite a few people at Creek Wood that I think a lot of....Roger Heath, their athletic director, and covering some of their sports has made me appreciate the job that Chris Clapper and Charles Taylor do. And you will be hard pressed to find a coach who is more of a class act than Tom Mullinicks. Even so, I have to say "Give me a C---O---U-G-A-R-S, Cougars. Cougars. Cougars."

It's also going to be big for me because of a new partnership with The Dove 94.5 FM. This will be the first game in my career that I have not broadcasted with WDKN. Over the past few weeks, the High School made a decision to align with The Dove 94.5 FM as their flagship station, and I am humbled and honored to say that I am going to be a part of that. What makes it great is Randy Tidwell, Ed Sheley, Frank Becker, and Jay Powlas are all going to be there as well. It's the same as before, but only better! Phillip, John, Gwen, and Duane have been so gracious to us, and I am looking forward to many years of working with them.

If any of you that don't live in Dickson County want to take part in a history making night.....I urge you to travel to White Bluff or Charlotte (It was specifically built in the middle of the two towns so neither could claim total ownership) and have fun....Get there early though, if you want to get a good seat.....It's going to be a big night.....If you can't get out in person.....94.5 FM...Tune it in!