Thursday, November 5, 2009

SO....WHO IS THE GREATEST?

I will admit that the past two posts were somewhat emotionally heavy....so I thought I would lighten the tone a little, and post something that maybe will entice you to respond with your thoughts......

Sometimes, when an male act comes out with a new album, you will hear them be referred to as "One of the greatest Male Country performers if all time." That leads me to pose the question-----Just how many "Greatest" performers are there? Here are my eight classifications of "Greatest.".....Agree or disagree? It's OK....but I would love to know what you think!

GREATEST SONGWRITER: Hank Williams. I think this one is pretty self-explanatory. Look at his catalog, weigh everything he wrote, and throw this in---All that he did, he did before the age of 30. Nobody, and I do mean nobody, will come close to his accomplishments in this vein.

GREATEST STYLIST: Buck Owens. OK, I am somewhat partial on this one....but anyone who records with a little bit of rock in their attitude today owes a lot to the "Baron Of Bakersfield." Did he create the West Coast sound of Country Music? The answer would be no, as there was already a California Country scene before him, but did he kick the doors down wide open for a style of Country that wasn't being recorded in Nashville? You bet your Red, White, and Blue guitar he did!

GREATEST SINGER-SONGWRITER: Merle Haggard. I don't know which category you would put Haggard in. There are times when I listen to his music, particularly his 1970s recordings, that I think 'This is the best that has ever been.' Next to Hank, I don't know if any other singer put more of himself into the songs he recorded---good and bad. Some have tried to hide the rough edges, but with Merle---they became part of the allure.

GREATEST INTERPRETER OF SONGS: Conway Twitty. In addition to writing the majority of his hits from 1965-1978 or so, the man formally known as Harold Jenkins could pick a hit song. It didn't matter if you were a known commodity like Harlan Howard ("I Don't Know A Thing About Love") or a new tunesmith like Gary Burr ("That's My Job"), Conway Twitty had a knack for finding a hit song...and making you think he wrote it himself.

MOST VERSATILE: Marty Robbins. When you have success with Rock & Roll, Cowboy Music, Pop, Hawaiian, and Country, I think the answer speaks for itself. I think you could put Vince Gill down in this category, as well....but Robbins could do anything--and do it well.

GREATEST PERSONALITY----Johnny Cash. Was the "Man In Black" a great singer, sonically speaking? I don't remember anyone ever praising Cash's range, but his songs still strike a chord all these years later. However, with the lone exception of Dolly Parton, I don't know if there's a Country artist that is more well known anywhere.

PERSONAL FAVORITE------Kenny Rogers. Everyone has to have a favorite, and I guess you could say the fact that I make a point to get every GREATEST HITS collection no matter how many times I have "Lucille" and "The Gambler" in my collection speaks for itself. While everyone knows the hits, I urge you to go back and listen to several of his 70s and 80s album cuts, like "The King Of Oak Street," or his classic duets with Dottie West, and you will find one of the format's all-time most underrated singers.

"THE GREATEST"----Isn't it still an opinion, after all? I guess when it's said and done, there's one Country voice that has withstood just about everything over time, but yet he still manages to survive and endure. But that's a survival trait. Vocally, songs like "The Grand Tour," "These Days (I Barely Get By)," and "Choices" have cemented George Jones's place as one of the best pure singers of all time. When you have fans with last names such as Sinatra, Costello, and Richards, and you've recorded a song called "He Stopped Loving Her Today," which many (rightfully) say is the best Country singer of all time, your place is pretty secure. There may be others that rival him, but for my money...none that beat him!

OK....Those are my thoughts, but I did manage to omit Jim Reeves, Eddy Arnold, Lefty Frizzell, Ray Price (A CRIME!), Charley Pride, Glen Campbell, and B.J. Thomas, who could sing circles around just about anyone.....I would love to hear your thoughts on this one........