Friday, May 20, 2011

SOFTBALL, FACEBOOK, AND THE END OF THE WORLD

This is one of those weeks where there is too much going on to just write about one little thing. So, I am going to offer my thoughts (which will get you a dollar soda...if you have the dollar) on a few different subjects this week.....Joe Biddle from the TENNESSEAN calls these "Random Ruminations." I call them "Scattered Thoughts"..........


THE KIDS-----I have to start off by saying that our kids have achieved some wonderful things as of late. Our daughter just won an award for academic excellence that resulted in her winning a bike.....and my son has just been appointed as a historian for his local Boy Scout troop. We love you both!


CREEK WOOD SOFTBALL-----Congratulations to the Creek Wood Lady Red Hawks. Coach Nancy Jackson's squad won 5-1 tonight over White House to advance on to the TSSAA Spring Fling. They've got an impressive team and a D1 pitcher who is a junior. Hopefully, the Lady Red Hawks can bring a state title to Jones Creek. In all my years covering sports, this is my first state tournament. Thanks to Grace Broadcasting for letting me be a part of it.

FACEBOOK----I tried to avoid it for as long as I could. But, around the time of CRS this year, people started asking me if I "Facebooked." I told them no, but I gave in to the pressure!....LOL....I'm still trying to understand the fuss, but it gives me another alley to promote radio broadcasts and articles that I am a part of. I think people put too much info (Do you really want to see a picture of what I had for dinner or know that I have gone to Dollar General?), but it can be fun. Just don't tell me everything......because I don't want to know.,.....LOL....

THE END OF THE WORLD----Apparently, Jesus is coming back tomorrow. Whether this comes to pass or not, Anderson Cooper brought up a question tonight on CNN----What time zone will he come back in? I don't mean to make light of it, because he could come back then......or June 25, or September 22....but I recall in October 1987 he was slated to come through during Study Hall at Dickson Junior High School.....We even had a countdown......Simply put, all kidding aside, nobody knows when the day is......but it's good to be ready!

TV END OF SEASON-----With my assignment here in Tennessee the past few weeks, I have not watched any TV. Seriously, except for CNN tonight for a few minutes, I haven't even turned it on. I do know via the Net that Langston killed the psycho guy on CSI, Patrick Jane killed somebody.....maybe Red John, maybe not on THE MENTALIST, and Cuddy is leaving HOUSE. The TV world has gone crazy. I will miss Cuddy more than I will miss Charlie Sheen. I have a feeling the DVR is going to be full once I get home. Oops....did you not know any of the above information? I'm sorry!

COMPUTERS------I have taken on a job for one of my editors over the next few weeks. It has made me realize just how little I actually know about this thing I am typing on. Seriously, I can tell you what Reba had on the radio in 1995, or who played drums for Buck Owens in 1973 (Jerry Wiggins), but HTML, HTTP, and FTD....I have absolutely no idea about.....But I am learning....enough to do what I am supposed to be doing.....

MUSIC-----Two things I wanted to close with......Actually, make that three. I got a chance to interview Ronnie Dunn a couple of weeks ago. That was a biggie. His new solo album is incredible. Brad Paisley has a new album coming out on Tuesday. It's pretty good, but remember that I told you about a song called "Remind Me," which is a duet with Carrie Underwood. If the song is not a monster, well...I don't know what I'll do....But it's a powerful, well-written song that just might bring a tear to your eye.......and lastly, check out an album called THE DREAMING FIELDS from Matraca Berg. She's a member of the NSAI Hall of Fame, and with good reason. But the only reason I can think of that she never became a huge star in mainstream Country was that she wanted to do the writing, and leave the being a "star" to others. She looks like a star, sounds like a star, and Heaven knows, she writes like one too.......The disc contains her version of "You And Tequila," the new single from Kenny Chesney and Grace Potter, that is as good as anything Chesney has cut!

Well, to quote Cathy Baker (Do you know who that is?)......That's All!