Friday, August 19, 2011

One More For The Hall

OK...Everyone..I am still choosing my words carefully on the next blog, because I know I am going to make certain members of a political party irate, but it's my opinion, isn't it?....But, that's coming up......Today, I wanted to offer some more thoughts about why 2012 should be the "Year of The Pickers" at the Country Music Hall Of Fame. Last week, I made a case for Jerry Reed in the pre-1980 category. And,I received a few emails agreeing with me, but also asking why not The Wilburn Brothers, Connie Smith, the Oak Ridge Boys, and / or Dottie West? All of you are right, they need to be there....but so does Jerry Reed.

Another artist who deserves enshrinement in the Hall is one that is largely responsible for bringing awareness to a classic musical art form---not once, but twice. In the 1980s, it was he, along with Hall of Famers Reba McEntire and George Strait who helped usher in a wave of traditionalism. He made songs by Flatt & Scruggs, Mel Tillis, and Ray Price cool again.

Then, following the death of Bill Monroe in 1996, he helped to raise awareness of Bluegrass Music with his great singing and playing, even starting his own successful Bluegrass label. There are quite a few in the post-1980 category that deserve to be in the Hall, but I can't think of anyone more in this category than Ricky Skaggs....

Next week, since the Hall has made the "Musician Category" the revolving one for 2012, I will give you my thoughts about a guitarist / fiddler whose professional career only lasted about fifteen years. But, Nobody was more responsible for one artist's overall sound, and henceforth, a whole sub-genre of Country Music than him. Who is he, you ask? Jim West, if you're reading this....you know! I'll tell you my thoughts on the musician category for 2012 concerning the Hall next week!