Monday, February 4, 2013

MORE RANDOMNESS FROM A RANDOM MIND

Well...the first month of the year is into the history books. I have to say that it has been a quick January, and February looks like it is going to be even more of a blur. There’s no real rhyme or theme to this blog, as I am just going to muse about a few different things.....

SUPER BOWL – I thought it was one of the most entertaining games we have had in a while. Was it the best? I don’t know, but congratulations to the Ravens, who held off a pesky SF team to send Ray Lewis out a winner. San Francisco, don’t get too down, as I think you’re going to be around for a while. You just might have the best QB in the conference. And, what about that halftime show? Beyonce might be the most charismatic female performer of the past twenty years. Beauty and talent....and she knows how to make an impression!

DALLAS – The second season of TNT’s reboot of the classic drama is off and running. I have been thoroughly impressed with the show this season. I do have to admit that the best scenes have been the ones featuring the late Larry Hagman, leaving me wondering how it will be post-March 11, when the funeral for JR Ewing will be held. But, I like what I have seen from Josh Henderson and Julie Gonzalo as John Ross and Rebecca. A Ewing and a Barnes. Sound familiar? Hopefully, it continues to flow as well as the oil under Southfork Ranch.

MUSIC – I guess I could always say this, as there are few things I love more than good music, but there is so much out there right now. Gary Allan’s new disc is outstanding, and Tim McGraw might have just released the best album of his career. Off the mainstream path, Holly Williams (daughter of Bocephus) has just released a new album, and keep an eye out for the Blue Sky Riders – a new trio consisting of Kenny Loggins (yep, “Footloose”), and highly respected writers Georgia Middleman and Gary Burr. Their disc is so good that it is scary---that’s a good thing. Re-issue wise, Omnivore Recordings has just unearthed the only solo album ever recorded by Don Rich – the leader of the Buckaroos. Titled Don Rich Sings George Jones, it’s a superb representation of what a talent he was – whether he was singing harmony or lead. And....had a chance today to interview the new Arista family trio The Henningsens. Between them and the new Ashley Monroe CD on Warner Brothers, the music is in good hands! I consider myself very blessed and honored to be able to share the good stuff with you!

CRUSHES FROM DAYS GONE BY: No, I’m not going to tell you who I thought was the prettiest girl in Dickson County in 1986...or 1990...lol, but I had a conversation with a friend of mine the other night that was quite nostalgic. Do you remember back when television comprised of three networks and PBS? People would get bored with that nowadays, but it was a magical time. As my friend and I talked about some of the biggest shows of days gone by, we began to discuss who some of the most attractive female stars of that time were. There was mentions of who you’d expect – Farrah Fawcett, Catherine Bach, Valerie Bertinelli, Linda Gray (was, is, and always will be a Sue Ellen fan!), but a few names came up that I hadn’t thought of in years....Erin Gray...Markie Post...Marilu Henner...at the end of the conversation, it made me realize how much I haven’t watched much episodic television the past five years....and how the old was better than the new....Ok, sounds like I’m becoming my father.....lol...Even the “Friends” cast is getting older....but then again, I guess I am too.....Courtney Cox, take me to ‘Cougar Town!” That’s a wrap, until next time...Stay classy, San Diego!