Monday, July 29, 2013

Just Around The Corner....

A change is in the air.

You can feel it in the Mid-South this morning. I, for one, welcome that change. If you haven’t noticed, the temperatures around here have been very pleasant over the past couple of days. It almost reminds you of....Fall.

I say that very well knowing that it’s going to be a permanent thing – at least for the moment. There’s no need to break out the turtlenecks or the sweaters just yet.

But, it is around the corner.

In the south, (and it is likely true of other places, but I have never lived there!) there is a beautiful energy about the time of year that takes place from September on. Football is back in full swing, the weekends typically see many on the road to enjoy the cooling of the temperatures and the changing of the colors. There’s such things as hayrides and chili suppers, and if your nose doesn’t pick up the scent of apple in some form or fashion – your sense of smell is likely impaired somewhat. In addition, slowly but surely you see the infiltration of Christmas colors in stores everywhere. I think what always attracted me to the fall in the past was that in my former line of full-time work, the world slowed considerably in the summer. That has not been the case this summer. It has flown by. Work-wise, the past couple of months have been the best – and busiest of my life.

Lord willing, adding my newspaper work that picks up in the fall, I will stay as busy this fall. I am definitely looking forward to it.

But, alas, it is July 29. This weather, as glorious as it may be, will not last. Highs are forecast for the 90s by the end of the week. But, one can look forward to what is just around the corner, can’t they?