Friday, August 12, 2016

Goodbye, Plas!



Warning. If you were to call me between 3 and 6 today, I likely won’t answer the phone. Like many Middle Tennesseans, I will be in the process of saying goodbye to an old friend.

I can’t remember the first time I ever heard George Plaster on the radio. It had to be sometime in the early 1990s on 99.7 FM. As a sports-talk personality, he definitely had his opinions. Many times – especially back then – he would add his opinions about the Dallas Cowboys. I can’t say I always agreed with him, but his take on things was always entertaining and enjoyable.

Over the past two and a half decades, George Plaster and afternoon radio has become a huge tradition with me. Whether I was driving to Dickson or wherever to do a ball game on Friday afternoons – or simply caught in the total torment that is Nashville rush hour, Plaster was there. Did I always agree with “Mr. Vanderbilt / Atlanta Braves?” Certainly not, but he was entertaining…..and respectful of those who took the time to call – and hold on long enough to get their question on. (I only called once on Plaster’s show – 1994 – when the late Buddy Ryan was hired as head coach of the Arizona Cardinals. I wondered how nasty that rivalry might become since Ryan was the devil to Jimmy Johnson’s angel (!) at Dallas. Plaster said I shouldn’t have much to worry about. Indeed, he was right.

Throughout a couple of station changes over the years, he has continued to be a voice that people trusted – whether it had to with the Vols, the ‘Dores, the Oilers / Titans, and the Predators. In fact – though watching grass grow is about as exciting as watching an NHL game to me (though I would love to sit two rows behind my friend Rosie Bradford to see her tick off the visitors. The woman is brutal!) , Plaster was almost single-handedly responsible for the Predators staying put when they could have relocated. There have been other sports guys in town……but Plaster is the dean.

Today marks George Plaster’s last day on the air in Nashville, as he has taken on a new job in the Belmont marketing office. I have laughed, cried, and cussed at my radio over the years during his time on the air. It won’t be the same. The thing that I have always had respect for was – though I have never met George, he always seemed like a pretty nice guy – something that you don’t see in sports talk radio. Take for instance, Nashville and 104.5 – you’ve got Mark Howard and his J.R. Ewing personality – without any of Larry Hagman’s charm, and Paul Kuharsky – who I think baits the listeners just a little bit – making fun of anyone with a twang. As far as the afternoon crew goes, I don’t know how they are. Plaster is on. That’s all that mattered.

So, next week begins a new area with Floyd Reese – one of Nashville sports’ all-around good guys, and Jared Stillman. Wait a minute? Jared Stillman. It’s going to be a lot different, as he doesn’t seem to care who he ticks off with his Howard-type personality. But, I’ll give him a chance. A test pattern can be more entertaining than the 104.5 crew sometimes…….but George Plaster, you will be missed!

I just wanted to throw that out there….