Thursday, February 9, 2017

Rejection Isn't Always.....



“Thank you for your submission. I really like your work, but I can’t afford you. Keep it up, though.”



Those were words that I have gotten on a few occasions – particularly early on in my writing career. They sound like a little bit less of a rejection, but still a rejection.



Or, so I thought.



I received such an email in the middle of 2011 upon submitting some of my writing for an outlet. It wasn’t the first, nor the last rejection I’ve received, but I was intrigued by the “I can’t afford you” line. To quote Dumb and Dumber, that made me feel “Maybe there was a chance.” In spite of that email, I attacked writing with reckless abandon in the summer of 2011. In a lot of cases, I wrote for the exposure and not money. I wanted people to become more aware of my work, but I didn’t have a plan to do so other than just do it. I was living in Georgia at the time, and working at a newspaper there. I was going to have to make a decision about what to do with my life pretty quick, but again, there was no concrete plan.



Then, one day while I was at work, I received a rather routine email. At least, I thought it was. It said “Special Opportunity – Billboard.com.” As a member of the CMA and other trade organizations, I got emails from to time offering me special subscription rates to Billboard – which I had taken part of before. So, I didn’t think too much of it. In fact, were it not for the fact that I was about to head out the door for lunch, I might very well have deleted the email and gone about my business. I came back to the office, and got busy and totally forgot the email. That night, as I was covering a football game, I decided to check the email. I opened up the Billboard email.



For a lot of reasons, it was the answer to prayer. More than anything, it provided me an opportunity which I hope I have made the best of since then. I don’t know what M.Tye Comer saw in my writing, but I’m glad something sparked his attention. I have written in the past that I don’t know if I belong in the same company of writers who have been – or are at Billboard, but I do take pride in the fact that I feel that I have grown a lot in those five years. I hope to continue that growth in the years to come. There have been some changes there, editors have came and went. But, I have had a solid base of editors and fellow writers who have encouraged me, such as Thom Duffy, Deborah Price, Serena Kappes, and Joe Lynch. I’ve had to be a little more proactive in promoting myself, but I’m still here. For that, I count myself blessed…and grateful.



So, about that rejection. On one of my first trips to New York after being hired, I went out to dinner with Tye and the superb Marc Schneider, who was one of my editors for about four years. Tye said ‘I don’t think I told you how your name came to my attention.’ I had always thought possibly it was through Wade Jessen, who I had known in the past. ‘It was Beville at The Boot. We were talking about writers in Nashville, and she was very complimentary of your work.’



Beville Darden Dunkerley – the editor who told me “I can’t afford you.” A few months prior, I thought her rejection was like all the others. As it turned out, it was her recommendation that got me a chance to show what I could do. The morale of this story is that if you are wondering of you are ever going to be able to make a mark in the field in which you want to, keep trying. And, “rejection” isn’t always. So, Tye – and Beville, I appreciate your belief in my work….more than you’ll ever know!