Wednesday, March 15, 2017

An Angel Named Deborah



Over the next few blogs, I am going to turn my attention to a few women that have graced my life in some form or fashion. My first such post is going to be about someone who is one of the greatest people in our business. Sometimes, you hear that so-and-so is such a good person, and you wonder if it’s actually true or not. Let me go on record that in the case of one Deborah Evans Price, it’s simply the truth.



I first got acquainted with Deborah not too long after going to work with Billboard in 2011. Looking back on that time, it’s amazing to see just how clueless I was. Sometimes, I don’t know if I’ve gotten any better over time or not, but Deborah was one of the first people I met in the writing profession that made me feel welcome, and that – just maybe, things were going to work out.



Anybody in any vocation usually doesn’t go along a path that someone hasn’t traveled down prior, and in the past six years. Deborah has always shared her advice, grace, and just a little bit of wisdom over the years. I won’t go into details, as it fortunately doesn’t matter now….but in the spring of 2015, I got some news that could have been devastating for my career. Had I not used the strength and fortitude that I didn’t then know I had, it very well might have been the end. I remember talking with Deborah on this afternoon. As it turned out, what happened to me wasn’t new ground. She had an experience to share along the same lines, and encouraged me, telling me that it would be ok….and in time, better than ok.



Two years later, her words have proven to be right. The business of writing, particularly on a freelance level, is a tough one. The words “No” or “Pass” makes me feel less of a human being, though they are part of the territory. No matter how many by-lines you might be blessed with in an average month, there are always other writers who want the same. I’m better about handling that now, depending on the day and situation. When I find myself getting down about such a fact, I am reminded of one of the best pieces of advice I have ever gotten – from Deborah Evans Price. “There’s enough for us all.” Five words. It has taken several years for me to realize she knows what she’s talking about. Some days, that lesson is still harder to comprehend, but I know she’s right.



A few weeks ago, I got a chance to tell her just what she means to me. She’s always made me feel accepted, and I appreciate that more than anyone ever knows. Thank you, Deb Price, for always being greater than your reputation!