Saturday, August 12, 2017

A Really Good Place

(Sitting in a less-than-crowded airport at BNA)

It’s been a while since I’ve posted anything here. And, there’s a good reason for that. This summer, I have been about as busy as I can ever remember being in my life and career. This season always used to seem to be the slowest to pass by, but this year has turned out to be different. June, July, and August are rushing by at the speed of light. When I take off for Detroit in a few minutes, it will be the fourth out-of-state trip that I will have taken this summer. Between that, doing a radio show, working on my usual articles and such, I have been blessed tremendously – all my life, actually, but it seems that things have really kicked into a higher gear this year.

And, for that I am grateful.

This summer has been one of healing, discovery, and a little bit of acceptance – a little bit. I won’t go into the details on the first, other than to say that one of the trips I have taken this summer had nothing to do with career. But, as it surrounds someone else I love – who doesn’t post their lives as freely as I do, I will digress. But, let me say that even as a Cowboys fan, I only think warm thoughts about the state of Pennsylvania – fifty weeks of the year! It was a trip that I needed to take, and I’m glad I did.

Whether it be flying to Myrtle Beach to cover a festival, going to Bristol for an event at the Birthplace of Country Music Museum, or going to cover one of the top artists in the format this weekend in the Motor City, I am getting to spend a lot of time on the road this year. I hope it continues, although I have to admit that I am going to have to be a little smarter about planning those runs. I stay about one inch from the poor house at all times anyway, but I can usually place the blame on the sometimes-erratic world of freelance payments. You might get three in one week, or go a month without any. That being said, I realize that I have been burning through my travel like Sherman through Atlanta. At the very least on these trips, there is car rental, food, etc….and when you do as many as I have done lately, you look at your bank account and think ‘Why?’ But, as it is this time, I only have myself to blame. I’ve never traveled this much in a short amount of time before. However, I am grateful for those – editors, publicists, record companies, that have given me that chance. So, there are no regrets.

I have prayed to be taken seriously in this business for many years now. I am beginning to think that maybe I am getting there. One of my good friends in the industry told me one day recently that he wondered why I have this feeling of inadequacy about my work. I joke with people that I feel that I just kind of snuck into the back door, and as long as the “real journalists” don’t realize I’m in the room, I may be able to stay a while. To answer his question, it’s partly because I was never trained to do what I do. When it comes to radio, I pretty much learned it on the fly, and the same with writing. I do what I do not because I can sing music, or I am the best at putting words on paper – or a screen, but because I always have had a passion for music – and telling the world at large about it. It can be about Don Rich, The Blind Boys of Alabama, or Brantley Gilbert, and I’m passionate about all three. You have to be a self-starter to stay in this business, and it took me a while to realize that. While I have nothing but fond memories and love for people I have worked with in radio, there wasn’t a lot of positive re-inforcment about my abilities doing it – until I started working for Steve Turner at Kix 96 in 2009. I won’t say it was negative, but I never really felt supported. One owner – whom I never worked for – told me that I needed to work on my interview skills – after I had done well over 300 interviews eight years ago. It’s easy to take that stuff to heart, and I wear mine directly on my sleeve.

But, this summer, there has started to be a shift in my attitude about my place in life. There are writers that I still feel a little less than when I am in a room – but that’s getting better. I guess that after fifteen years of writing – and close to 1500 pieces for Billboard, I’m still in the game because…...I am actually kind of good at it.

Damn, that was hard. Not as hard as asking a woman out, mind you, but still difficult. Please don’t take that for overconfidence or cockiness. Heck, I am about as insecure about my talent as it gets from time to time. When I see another writer with a story that I’m not doing, my first thought is too often (sadly) why isn’t that me? But, to quote the sweetest soul in Nashville, Deborah Evans Price, “There’s enough for everybody.” I guess that includes me. This summer, between trips, special features, and my usual profiles, I have gotten more opportunity to prove myself. I think I’ve done ok with it. Enough that the chances keep a’coming! And, between all of those, Kix 96, the Dickson Herald, and football season beginning next week, it looks like it’s going to be more of the same for this fall. At least I hope so!

So, I’m about to grab my kindle, and unwind as the plane taxis out. It's been a crazy week, with work, and caring for a sick cat.....but she is doing better - enough to fight with her brother over catnip and claw the heck of me when I gave her liquid vitamins! Life is in a pretty good spot right now, and if I can just keep it up, I think I will be in a good place!