Friday, May 1, 2009

A Hall Of Fame For Mothers

Where is this year going? We are already one-third done with 2009, and the year refuses to slow down. I guess that's what you call time going by. Well, since the second Sunday in May is here, I thought I would share a few thoughts about the upcoming holiday known as Mother's Day.


I have made no secret of the influence that legendary Virginia writer Earl Hamner, Jr. has had on me over the years. Of course, a lot of that influence stems from his creation of the legendary TV series THE WALTONS, but I also have been a big fan of his writing over the years. His most recent work is a book titled Generous Women, a collection of stories about how various members of the fairer sex have been influential in his life. I thought I would take a page from "John-Boy" once again, and pay tribute to a few women that have had a part in my life.


JEANETTE KIMBRO-----The first in a long line of "Second Moms" in my life. I can not tell you how many spaghetti dinners I have had in the Kimbro house over the years. You see, her youngest son Randall is my "Brother From Another Mother." She has always been a pretty straight-forward person as most Country people are. I don't get to see my second set of parents as much as I would like, as life takes everyone in a different direction for each day of the week, but I love them very much. One thing I always remember about dinner around the Kimbro table is how much they used to have the radio on….especially that station that their son and I would prank call on their "Swap & Shop" program. How days go by………


ANN GALYA---Another of my friend's mothers who has been influential in life. While I knew her son, Bobby, since the first grade, I didn't get to know her until a few years later when we were in Middle School. One thing I will carry with me about her is how you should always be true to yourself……no matter what people think. Due to a lot of reasons, change happened to her in a great way in the 1980s, but she responded……and reacted to it. Her husband, Bobby Galya, was one of the first influences I ever had about stepping into the parenthood shoes in mid-stream. I didn't know it then, but the lessons came in handy.


BETTY GIBBS--I first met Betty when she started to date a guy at Church that I looked (and still do) up to. The two of them became my listening rods during my teenage (and early 20s) years when I didn't want to go to my parents about love and life. Her frank answers sometimes weren't what I wanted to hear…..but in some cases, she was right. Thanks for the Sunday night dinners over the years…..even though I didn't get many of the "Donut Sticks" that belonged to someone else.


MARY BAKER---One of the dearest people I have ever met. When I started in radio in 1991, she was one of the first listeners that I ever got to know real well. She, as well as her children, Terry, Vickie, and Helen, became my first "second family" I got to know in adulthood by myself. You know those people who always make you feel real good about yourself? She's one of them! If you find me in Centerville, I'll play you an Alan Jackson song!


MARCIA DAUPHIN----Change is not something that I always respond to very well. I will tell you this, though. Sometimes it's worth it. In the past three years, Marcia has made my father very happy, and that's been very important to me. Also, she has become a very good friend to me over time….and that's something for which I'm grateful. Plus, you have to love anyone who loves animals…..and her heart speaks volumes on this! You've become exactly what you said you wanted to be that February night two years ago....a friend!


JOANNA (or is it Joanne) GIBSON-----There are a hundred---Make that two hundred songs about how awful a "Mother-In-Law" is. I have to count myself very blessed to have one that is a "pretty cool chick." In fact, she's cool enough to let it slide one of the names I referred to her as...she can't stand! As to which one? Aek ger and maybe she will tell you...…..Well then again, maybe not! Seriously, she has made me feel very accepted over the past few years, and I am glad to be her Son-In-Law….Just make sure you feed the cat. Ah, the beauty of inside jokes.


SHANNON DAUPHIN------While you're not a mother figure to me, you have been a very influential woman to me. I love you more with each passing day. I have depended upon you for a lot of strength jumping into the father fray over the years, but also when the world is seemingly coming to an end….you convince me that it's not so. We might not agree on everything….(Men are from Mars, you know), but I love you very much…….With All That Is Yada….Or As Bella Calls It Yoda!

And, while all these people are still very much among us, there is one more that I have to write about. Growing up an only child, I have to admit to being a "Mamma's Boy," and I say it loud and proud. Paulette Dauphin was not perfect, by any stretch of the margin…..but I will tell you that to me, her influence is and will always be felt to this day. Whether it was Saturday morning trips to the mall, or yearly visits to Christmas In The Country in November at the High School…….she was the best. I'm not going to get too maudlin here, (Shannon says I can't help it though!), but I guess my mother was the closest person to me that I have ever had to pass away. I always thought people to stretch the truth when they said they would think about someone every day for years and years after they are gone……Almost four years have gone by, and I still think about her each day. Thankfully, the majority of these instances are positive ones now! I love you very much, and your influence lives on in me.

Well, the word clicker says 1,040 (as of this word), so I better get going…..There's a Tracy Lawrence interview to do this week, as well ballgames to cover, and a radio show to plan. To all the Mothers out there, Happy Mothers Day, and if your Mom is still out there, (In the words of the legendary Alabama coach "Bear Bryant)….."Don't Forget To Call Your Mama…..I Wish I Could Call Mine….(also written by the late, great Southern treasure Lewis Grizzard, but I couldn't bear to put his Georgia Bulldog name side by side with someone from the Crimson Tide!)