Sunday, May 24, 2009

PLACES I HAVE BEEN....AND A FEW I HAVEN'T

First of all, a happy Memorial Day weekend to one and all. With the arrival of this holiday, many people begin to think about vacations. While this year, I don't know if we will be able to make a trip to the luxurious village of Shady Grove (nestled in the eastern portion of Hickman County), I can say that I am no different. There's something about going to different surroundings than which you are accustomed that is pretty neat……With that said, I offer you ten such places that I have been blessed to visit over the years that just might pique your interest!

ALBERTVIILLE / GUNTERSVILLE, AL------The appeal of the Sand Mountain area gets a lift from the beautiful Lake Guntersville in Northern Alabama. “The Shopper’s Paradise Of The South,” Boaz, isn’t that far away, as well….though many of the outlet malls that once filled the area have shut down. The towns around this area all have a quaint small town charm, yet all possess one thing that is crucial for survival wherever you go----a Wal-Mart! Well worth a trip.

BLUE RIDGE MOUNTAINS / CHARLOTTESVILLE / SCHUYLER, VA-----As a youngster who grew up on the classic series “The Waltons,” I was always intrigued by the area that Earl Hamner, Jr. wrote and spoke of so eloquently about. Over the years, I have visited this area a few times, with my honeymoon there in 2007 being a highlight. Having been to the Waltons Mountain Museum in Schuyler, I can tell you that you must be a little bit patient. Highway 629 winds so far back off the main route that you will wonder if you are ever going to make your destination. The museum is located across from the house that was the real-life Hamner homestead, but even if you’re not a fan of John-Boy and company, the beauty of the entire region will charm you to no end, and likely make you a return visitor!

CORINTH--TUPELO, MS / SELMER, TN----Many years ago, I first became drawn to the legacy of the late “Walking Tall” sheriff Buford Pusser. That led me to many trips to the infamous “State Line,” where much of the story took place. Though some four decades have passed, there is still a sense of yesterday in Southwest Tennessee and Northern Mississippi that will entice you. First of all, besides the “Walking Tall” element, you will find in the area a spot that I think could be Heaven on Earth, Pickwick Landing State Park just to the east. Across the line, you will find the historic vibe of Corinth, as well as some of the South’s most beautiful areas in places like Iuka, Booneville (one of the most scenic small towns in the south), and Tupelo, which is the birthplace of another southern icon, Elvis Presley…..and who could resist that?

DALLAS, TX------As a lifelong fan of both Country Music and “America’s Team,” the Dallas Cowboys…..I have to admit…there is something that is different about the Lone Star State as soon as you cross over from Arkansas into Texarkana. Everything takes on a larger-than-life mentality. Having been there on a couple of occasions, I will tell you the area is simply stunning. From standing at mid-field at Texas Stadium to walking through the halls of Southfork Ranch, one of Television’s most legendary houses…..Dallas is as big as the legends that surround it…and then some…..Plus, the restaurants are about as good as it gets!

GREEN BAY, WI-----Even though I am a Cowboys fan, I do have to admit that there is something special about places like….Lambeau Field. Three years ago, I flew into the area formerly known as Favre-land to see one of the cities and football fields that have helped to define the sport. While taking a tour of the facilities there, and eating at Favre’s Steakhouse didn’t convert me from Silver and Blue, I will say that the trip totally mesmerized me. There’s something special about the way that citizens there feel about that team----something you don’t get just anywhere. Plus, the area is visually gorgeous, and the Cowboys have played there a few times….such as the Ice Bowl in ’67, where the Packers were guilty of a false start,……just so you know!

HUNTINGDON, WV----One of the professional highlights of my career was in the summer of 2005 when I was asked to speak on a panel concerning writing about the music business in Huntingdon, WV. Surrounded by the mountains, the downtown part of the city has a historic, yet progressive touch. The bridges and the waterways that separate West Virginia from Ohio and Kentucky are intoxicating. Take this trip…..but also take a camera. Years later, you’ll be happy you did!

LOS ANGELES, CA-----I have been blessed to be able to travel some during my lifetime, and there are a few destinations that are a little bit special to me. Los Angeles is one of those. At the risk of sounding like a small-town boy, there's something that is exciting to me about landing at LAX, which is bigger than a lot of towns around Middle Tennessee. There's the Hollywood element to the city, and there's also the beach. When I first visited there in 2003, I hadn't been to the sands in about two decades…..Coming to the end of Santa Monica Boulevard, and turning on my favorite highway in America, the Pacific Coast Highway is something I'll always remember. The Santa Monica Pier, Malibu, The "Hot Dog On A Stick" stand on the beach, and sitting with one of my best friends, Ben, and eating at one of the legendary Shakey's Pizza Houses are memories I'll always cherish….Hopefully, one day I'll make it back out there.

MACKINAW ISLAND, MI----Home of one of the longest suspension bridges in the United States, this was one of my earliest vacation memories. One thing that I will always connect to this area is the Candy Shops that line the streets of Mackinac Island, just a few miles off shore. While it may not be a tourist's dream in the winter months, the cool breeze on the island even in June or July I can still feel, even though I haven't been there since 1986.

PIKEVILLE / BEREA / RENFRO VALLEY, KY----For business purposes, I had to travel to Pikeville, KY in the fall of 2004. It took me about three years, but I finally found a reason to go back when my wife Shannon and I celebrated our honeymoon. Pikeville is a city that gave the music world Dwight Yoakam and Patty Loveless, and it completely sits in the rugged mountain terrain of Eastern Kentucky. It's one of many reasons to visit the area, which also includes historic Berea, and Renfro Valley, which has a Country Music legend all its' own. The home of the legendary radio show started by John Lair, Renfro Valley still plays host to some of the format's most legendary stars, including The Oak Ridge Boys, George Jones, and Ronnie Milsap.

WASHINGTON, DC----After talking about it for a few years, my brother and I boarded a plane in the spring of 2002 and travelled to our nation's capital. I'm glad that we did. You grow up reading about places like the U.S. Capitol, the Lincoln and Jefferson Monuments, and the National Mall in history books and on TV, but nothing compares to seeing everything live and up close. Probably the most compelling sight I saw during my few days there was seeing the view of downtown D.C. from the hills of Arlington National Cemetery, trying to visualize the procession that was made on November 25, 1963---the date of arguably the most famous burial in the history of Arlington.

In addition, I thought I would throw out a few places that I have never ventured to before that someday before I become history…I would love to see….

CHICAGO-------My father is from Northwestern Illinois, so you might think that I have been to Chicago many times---but you'd be wrong. Actually I was there one time, for about two hours on a layover to Green Bay. So….I would love to buy one of those $59 flights that Southwest has been hawking for years. The Sears Tower, Soldier Field, Wrigley,…there's a lot to see…..I wouldn't mind eating at Michael Jordan's restaurant, either…..They also have some nice places to shop there, don't they?

DENVER--------I would love to see the Rocky Mountains at least once before I die, and I have heard a lot about the "Mile High City." I think part of the allure about going here is that aside from California, I have never been west of Iowa, and it would be a neat trip.

MINNEAPOLIS------My brother and I talked about flying here a few years ago around the holidays to see the Mall Of America. Somehow, the $1300 that it would cost us both to go scared us off….just a little. Still, it would be a fun excursion, especially around Christmas-time….Southwest does fly there now, and that does make the fare a little cheaper. I also have a feeling they are going to be selling Brett Favre jerseys in the city soon….

OAK HILL, WV--------At some point in my life, I want to find myself in Knoxville, TN about 10pm on New Years' Eve, and make a trip to Oak Hill. The reason for this is that it was the route that Hank Williams took on his final ride, and (just like many others) that trip looms as one of the most mysterious in Country Music history. What exactly happened to Hank, and Where did he pass away? I don't think I would get any answers……but you just might run into a ghost or two along Highway 11…and that might make for a pretty good song!

VERMONT----For three years, I worked for Wayne Warner, an artist from this state, and I always talked about making a trip there….but I never did. The fact that the state is so close to Canada, another Country , intrigued me a little, and the beauty that so many talk about make me wish that I had…..Oh, well, maybe one day!

In any case, those are a few of my ideas about vacation spots….It's fun to get away for even just a few days, and the memories are well worth it….Happy Travelling!....Just buy me a T-Shirt!