Sunday, September 20, 2009

Words To Live By

Every house has a few trade secrets.

What I mean by that is that you do certain things inside your home that you probably wouldn't be caught dead doing at other places. There is something to be said about privacy, after all.

(Don't worry....You're not going to get "too much information about the Dauphin family here, I promise!)

I would venture to place a wager that if you go into other peoples' homes, you would find many different languages---and I'm not talking about French, British, or Spanish.

It is very easy to come up with various words, or phrases that say things that are regular English. It might not make any sense to anyone in Salt Lake City or Cambridge, for that matter....but in your house....you know the language just fine. Here's a few examples of words you might hear around my neck of the woods!

Yech------This takes the place of "Yes." Maybe one of the cats coined this one. It sounds like something a cat would say. You don't usually hear "yes" in our household...but you do hear "Yech."

Indeely-Bub----Wow, this one is almost legendary......This takes the place of the word "indeed." Usually, one is in a pretty good mood, when uttering this phrase....If it's not mentioned...trust me, someone is in trouble!

The "lidge" suffix----One of the first times I noticed my wife's language was a little different was when she responded to something I said as "cool-lidge."....I had never heard that before, and attributed it to her Kentucky heritage. or she could have been a fan of Rita.....but since then, there are plenty of words that I have attached the words to.....Good-lidge-----Food-lidge....Yes, Virginia....We're a crazy bunch!

"Cooley High Harmonies"----No, this is not a tribute to the classic 1970s film...that inspired the 70s sitcom "What's Happening," but a statement that might be used when things are going exceedingly well.

So...those are just a few of the things that set our family (for better or worse) apart, but I'm sure you have your secret language in your house.....Well, I'm going to Dickson right now....The new A&W has just opened......Till next week, everyone!.....Have a great weech....oops...I mean, week!