Sunday, May 30, 2010

A FOND FAREWELL

It's strange how your opinion changes on things as you get older. Back in 1978, my grandfather passed away. I was four years old. The funeral was conducted not more than a mile from where I live now---at McDonald Funeral Home in Centerville. The people that own it---Bill McDonald--- is about one of the best people you will find anywhere, but for some reason, my grandfather's funeral put a fear in me of funerals. If you have ever been the McDonald Funeral Home, one of the entrances is a long and somewhat narrow wooden hallway. I dreamed of that one well into my teenage years.

I am glad to say that my fear of funerals came to an end before I reached adulthood. My jobs helped me on some of this, as working in radio exposed me to a lot of people. Still, if I could get away with a phone call or a sympathy card...I probably would have done that, rather than go to visitation. That is until 2005, and my mother died. That totally changed my thought process. Since then, I have always tried to make a stop...even just for a few minutes....It's not about keeping score, but you do remember people's acts of kindness.

OK...on to the point. Over the weekend, I attended the memorial service for Jessie Lucille Galya. To my knowledge, I only was around her a few times. She was the mother of Bobby Galya, who I think is one of the finest people on earth. One of my closest friends is his son, Bobby. So, I have always been made to feel a part of the family, and I wanted to extend my sympathy to him.

As human beings, I think we tend to overemphasize our importance sometimes. I went to the service feeling that I was doing something noble. Then, the service started. I can honestly tell you that it was one of the most beautiful and moving services that I have ever been to. They are called "Celebrations Of Life" for a reason. Several of Mrs. Galya's family got up and shared some rich and beautiful (and in some cases, funny) memories about her, which hammered the point home that what they were celebrating was the life...and not the end of one's life. Too many times, we are so overcome that we forget the good times at that point. The Galya family is blessed to be a little different.

Then, there were the preachers. Have you ever been to a funeral, and you wonder if the preacher ever knew the person they speak of? Granted, a lot of them do...but there were tears in one of the speakers' eyes----something you don't see...I don't know if I ever had....I don't want anyone to cry for me necessarily, but what a tribute to someone's life.

Anyway, I write this to say that it's not about the start of life....or even the finish that's important. We all are born cute little babies, and all die, maybe in various ways and circumstances....but we all will....It's about what I am finding referred to as "The Dash," that little - between the year of your birth and your passing....How you affect people. To be honest, I'm still working on mine-- but I think that given what people were saying about Jessie Lucille Galya yesterday, she more than left a mark on those that knew her. I'm sorry to say that I didn't, but to her family---I give my sincere condolences ...but also congratulations to have had a person in their family that was so universally loved!