Wednesday, May 19, 2010

HOW 'BOUT THEM LADY COUGARS!

It was definitely a season of magic at Dickson County High School this spring. Though it ended earlier than a lot of people (including the team) would have liked for it to, the season for the Dickson County Lady Cougars was one for the books.

I can honestly say, having covered the school for radio / newspaper since 1995, that aside from the football seasons of 1999 and 2006---I don't know if I have enjoyed covering a team on Cougar Hill any more. (Note---When Coach Buck's team won the title back in 2002, we weren't covering games for radio then...We started the next season.)

I wanted to tip my hat to this team, because game in and game out, they have represented the school with a huge amount of grace and class...and as principal Ed Littleton might say, "Cougar Pride."

The team's first five games were won by a collective score of 55-3. That's not a misprint. Simply put, this team was loaded strong. After those first games, I think a lot of people thought we could make a strong run...and indeed we did. 29-9 is a great record, and we ran roughshod during the District Tournament.....To quote Montgomery and Gentry...That's something to be proud of!

Few teams have matched this squad for characters. Yes, the team has a lot of character, but the five seniors this team loses have a lot of firepower....and chemistry galore. Julianna Bass is a player that lived up to the term "Taking one for the team." I can not begin to tell you how many times she put herself in harm's way for a walk to first...and her hitting...not bad either. Kayla Edwards proved herself great at any position---pitching or hitting....Plus, as a Country Music fan, I appreciated the songs she used as she stepped to the plate over the past couple of years. Then you have the dynamic duo of Cat Petty and Ashley Ford. Without a doubt, they are great players...the numbers prove that. But, what I will remember the most is having them on the weekly Cougars' coaches show. Most players get a little shy when put in front of a microphone. Not these two! I honestly think they could host a show of their own. Just don't call out all those "cocky pitchers," # 8!

I don't know if you can single a player out as the leader, but pitcher Lauren Keele definitely played as such this season. At every game, she brought out her fan club as well. I joked to Coach Buck that the team was kind of like rock stars this season. They were that exciting to watch. Keele, who will play at MTSU next season, had a lights out season--grace under fire. I'm not going to say that I knew your mother well besides the concession stand, and the way that she took care of my daughter at games (I wonder just how many Air Heads she got free?), but I'm sure she was looking down and smiling at you each and every game.

Then, there's the parents. Each season, I find that I have gotten a little bit closer to them, and this year was no exception. I don't know if there's ever been a group any more classy.....DCHS crowds are great all around, but this was a neat bunch to cover. Coach Buck and Coach Bert, you guys had a fantastic season. Dickson County should be very proud of what they've got.

Friday night, the afore-mentioned seniors will throw their hats onto the football field, and begin a new chapter of life. Other players will move into their positions next season. It's simply a rite of passage, I guess. Still, the group that I alluded to as "Buck's Bunch" in a couple of HERALD articles this season was a fun one to watch and cover. Thanks to all for letting me be a part of it!