Friday, October 22, 2010

A HARD LIST TO MAKE

I will be the first to tell you that this week's blog is a personal one. I recently received the book My Country: 50 Musicians On God, America, & The Songs They Love by Melanie Dunea. I hope to interview her soon, but the book is a beauty. In it, many of the all-time top Country singers reveal their favorite songs. I think back to a question that my father's wife Marcia asked me a couple years ago. "Of all the songs, which one is your favorite?" To single out one song would be difficult to do, but the book reminded me of that question, so for what it's worth....here are twenty songs that you will never find me fast forwarding through....I set two rules in making this list. "He Stopped Loving Her Today" makes theses lists every time, as well it should. Quite possibly, it's the greatest song that has ever been written, but I thought I would give it a rest.....Plus....no Kenny Rogers.....If so, this list would never end! So, here are 20 of my favorites. Hopefully, they might be some of yours, as well!

"Southern Nights," Glen Campbell 1977
"Bobbie Sue," The Oak Ridge Boys 1982
"Indian Summer," Brooks & Dunn 2009
"If Loving You Is Wrong," Barbara Mandrell 1979
"What She's Doing Now," Garth Brooks 1992
"All The Gold In California," The Gatlin Brothers 1979
"Miss Emily's Picture," John Conlee 1981
"Believe," Brooks % Dunn 2005
"Blue Moon With Heartache," Rosanne Cash 1981
"The Man In The Mirror," Jim Glaser 1984
"Big In Vegas," Buck Owens 1969
"Here You Come Again," Dolly Parton 1977
"Behind Closed Doors," Charlie Rich 1972
"I've Been Around Enough To Know," John Schneider 1984
"Elizabeth," The Statler Brothers 1983
"Pop A Top," Jim Ed Brown 1967
"I May Hate Myself In The Morning," Lee Ann Womack 2005 "Walkaway Joe," Trisha Yearwood 1992
"Two Teardrops," Steve Wariner 1998
"In Color," Jamey Johnson 2008

OK....I can't forget "Send Me Down To Tuscon," "Linda On My Mind," or "Miami, My Amy," can I? Would love to hear from ya on this one!