Friday, February 18, 2011

A TRIBUTE TO CHARLENE DARLING....THESE ONES WILL MAKE YOU CRY!

Most people---when they talk about their favorite TV series of all time, will mention The Andy Griffith Show. One of the more popular group of episodes of the show featured The Darlings---a group of mountain folk who didn’t talk (except once), but they could sing. Their sister, Charlene---the pretty one of the family, would always have a few songs that would make her cry. If you think about it, there’s always a few songs that will bring that emotion out. I thought this week, I’d tell you about ten songs that have that effect on me. Maybe some of these affect you the same way, or perhaps it will make you want to search some of these out….

“I’ll Be True To You,” The Oak Ridge Boys
Tim McGraw has cited this as one of his all-time favorites, and I have to agree with him. Duane Allen’s lead brings out the anguished story of a couple that should have been together, but the male character didn’t realize it until it was much too late.

“Jeannie’s Afraid Of The Dark,” Porter & Dolly
This 1968 classic is one of the saddest songs of all time. Both vocalists are dead on in their approach to this sad tale of a young daughter who has a fear of the dark. Chilling—even 43 years later.

“Looking For The Light,” Rick Trevino
This Tim Mensy-written masterpiece might very well be the most heart-wrenching song ever recorded about mothers. I cried when it came out in 1994, and even more when the words rang true eleven years later.

“Maybe,” Thom Pace
You might not know this by the title. However, there was a TV show back in the late 70s called The Life And Times Of Grizzly Adams. I remember sitting on the couch as a three and four year old watching this with my mother. When I hear it today, it’s happy memories…..but I need to make sure I have some Kleenex out.

“Old Violin,” Johnny Paycheck
The final major hit of Paycheck’s career, this song sums up the feelings of many who love doing what they do, and spend their life doing it to the end.

“She’s With Me,” Collin Raye
This was an album cut from a Raye project for Time-Life a few years back. The song details the relationship between Collin and his grand-daughter (who has since passed away), and it is one of his better performances----but you’ve got to listen all the way, until the final verse. “Wow” is about all I can say!

“The Flower That Shattered The Stone,” Steve Wariner
Steve has recorded several powerful ballads over the years, but this one (from 1989’s I Got Dreams) is about as powerful as it gets.

“The Very Last Country Song,” Sugarland
Sugarland has made a career of songs that showcase the pyrotechnics of Jennifer Nettles’ voice, but I think this might be the best she has ever sounded. It’s very simple and understated, but if you love Country Music, this song will move you undoubtedly.

“To Me,” Barbara Mandrell & Lee Greenwood
Love songs shouldn’t make one cry per se, but this duet of 80s superstars is how a love ballad should be. Simply stunning from start to finish.

“Wayfaring Stranger,” Emmylou Harris
As a child, I slept with the radio on. I remember hearing this on WSM late at night, and though some might say Bill Monroe might have had the definitive version, I disagree. It’s one of the more stark recordings of Emmylou Harris’ Hall of Fame career, and also one of her best.