Wednesday, June 22, 2011

RIP, MAYOR OF HALLVILLE, TN---POPULATION, 6

This week has been one of those where life just hits you in the face. I just found out tonight that Ernie Lee Hall, one of my good friends from Dickson County, passed away yesterday at the age of 59. I would be amiss if I didn't reflect on this, as he (and his wife Brenda) have been good friends of mine for quite some time.

It was 1995 when I first came into contact with Ernie Lee Hall. At that time, I was just beginning to work with his childhood buddy, Donnie Craig, at WDKN. Ernie became known to me because of a health situation that was arisen in his life that Donnie---also his Pastor, kept the audiences up to date on. Through this I got to know Ernie, as he would call the station to talk to his friend----or, as was often the case, to give him some good-natured grief!

And, when it came to that, Ernie was good. Real good. With the exception of Sam Brown, or a Church of Christ member that Donnie knows well, nobody could fire a zinger at Donnie Craig any better than Ernie Lee Hall. I would repeat some of them, but well....let's just say I won't...except for a period where he referred to Donnie as "Chia-Head" because of the novelty toy that was out at the time....and the fact that once upon a time----Donnie had long curly locks. He also would misspeak the name of Donnie's show. Instead of Daybreak, he would refer to it as "Daylight."

Ernie and I developed a strong friendship, as well. Based on his love of Classic Country, he would call and request songs by the greats---namely Merle Haggard, as well as truck driving songs. Ernie was a former big rig driver, and nothing would make him more happier than me playing Jimmy Martin's heavy-twangy "Widow Maker" leading into to the Southern Gospel that Donnie played. Somewhere along the line, we developed the nickname of "Mayor Hall," and dubbed a part of Sylvia, TN as "Hallville." That led to us giving very unofficial Mayor titles to many listeners, but Hall was the main one. In fact, I know since 1995, there has been one person who has sent Christmas Cards to "Mayor and Mrs. Ernie Lee Hall." I just wonder what the postperson (not a word, but I'm sure ELH would have loved the political correctness!) thought of that!

Ernie was also part of a group of important people (in our own minds) dubbed the "Dickson County Rat Pack" (There was a lot of time on our hands.....) Larry Petty, Donnie Craig, "Big John" Hamilton, Gary Kimbro, Ken Loggains, and yours truly were part of a group of highly esteemed individuals who celebrated each others' birthday with a dinner---that often got loud---at Cracker Barrel. (And I do have to say, Linda Frazier and Gail Adams were also honorary members of that club!)

I knew he hadn't been doing well, and was having surgery at the end of last week. Sadly, he didn't make it. Death is something that hits us all, and this one hits me hard. I want to send out my thoughts and prayers to all his family and friend, especially the angel that loved him for years....Miss Brenda. I also want to ask you to pray for Donnie Craig, as well, 1969 was the year the two graduated from High School, and they were lifelong friends....In fact, as the story goes, the parents of the future Debbie Craig would not let their daughter go on her first date with Donnie---unless Ernie Lee drove them. Ernie Lee Hall as your chaperone? If that car could talk! Donnie, who works for Dickson Funeral Home part-time now, was the one who drove Ernie back to Dickson one last time.....I can only imagine how hard that would be.

Services are Friday morning at Dickson Funeral Home. I won't be able to make it, but I think I'll pop in "Widow Maker" one more time and remember the man I was proud to call a friend! Rest In Peace, Ernie Lee, we're going to miss you......