Sunday, April 22, 2012

WHAT A BURGER!

Ok. I will be a little bit lighter this time out. It's said that you tend to write what is on your mind, and mine has been heavy as of late. Change is never easy, but you have to put your faith in God, and he will lead you to where you need to be....That being said, the title of this blog might let you know that I'm not going to be delving into the deep dark waters this week.

One of my favorite places anywhere is Centerville, Tennessee. The people are super-friendly there and have always made me feel at home since 2007. I am very fortunate to be associated with Kix 96 there, whose manager, Steve Turner is one of the best "radio guys" I have ever met. There are some quirks to the town that gave us Minnie Pearl. Three of the town's best restaurants aren't open on Mondays, but the new Chinese restaurant there makes up for that!

This past Friday, I had a chance to eat lunch at Papa Kayjoe's. Owned and operated by Devin Pickard, it's one of the best BBQ places you'll find anywhere. Great food, and some of the best Sweet Tea - and Sweet BBQ sauce you'll find anywhere.

Devin is a good guy, salt of the earth. He is a restaurant owner, a Church of Christ preacher, and a sometimes sports announced for Kix 96. (I've learned that one must appreciate multi-taskers!) In addition to all that, he posts on Facebook as much as I do. You have to have your priorities in life!

So, to the point. A few weeks ago, Devin posts a picture of their latest creation - the "Papa Porkburger." I wish I could find the picture, but trust me when I say it was huge. I had been tempted to order this mammoth size menu item many a time when I was in town working at the station - or when I was simply bored and wanted to make sure that Sheila had less candy in the bottomless candy bowl at Kix 96.

It just so happened that I was in town this past Friday to do an interview with Josh Turner. After it was over, I had a lot of work to do, but didn't have to return to Nashville at any certain point, so I stayed in the land of the Bulldogs. I decided I would go to Papa K's for lunch. I looked at the menu, and the description "Pork, Hamburger, Cheese, Bacon." I hadn't eaten all day, so I figured "Why Not."

Then, they brought the burger out to me. You can look at me and you know that I like to eat. But, this was one of the biggest burger I have ever ordered. A pair of hands couldn't pick it up! It took a while, but I ate it. I don't know if I have been more stuffed in years. You know what? If you leave off the bread, it's actually nutritious. I mean, meat, cheese, and vegetables. If you believe the Atkins way, you can lose weight eating it. (Yes, I don't need to be told about the word 'Proportions.)

OK, maybe that stretches the truth a little, but if you want something a little different, make the drive to Centerville. If you do so on a Wednesday before 12 or after 3, I will let you buy me one....(Begging is in the 'I Want To Be In Radio' handbook. It's in the same section as asking for concert tickets from the promotion department.)

But, trust me, it's worth the drive. If you're not a glutton like the person typing this, you can box it up and take it home. Just make sure you allow yourself a little bit of time for a nap afterwards...It's good stuff...Indeed!