Monday, April 15, 2013

A Cliffhanger of a Monday!

Escapism is a great thing. It’s always good to be able to forget your troubles for a few minutes. For me, I am happy that my escapism also means work. If I don’t feel well, or something is bothering me – it’s not usually on my mind while on air, doing an interview, or covering a ball game.

Aside from work, television is probably my greatest “out.” If I need to recharge my batteries, I can usually do so by taking a trip to rural Waltons Mountain, Virginia for a jaunt back in time to CBS Thursday nights circa 1977. I think I have seen every episode of the “Waltons” at least once, and (un-macho moment) have cried through many of them a few times – particularly “The Achievement,” an episode from 1977 where John Boy leaves the mountain to follow his dream as a writer in New York City.

But, as much as I love that show, I have to admit that nothing engrosses me or captivates my attention as a viewer as that big white ranch outside of Plano, Texas. The series “Dallas” - both in CBS original and TNT reboot form – is my form of Novocaine. I don’t think during that hour. For some reason, the show has always captivated me like no other.

Of course, the series revolves around the oil tycoon family known as the Ewings. At the helm of the family was Larry Hagman as the conniving yet lovable John Ross Ewing, Jr, aka “JR.” He pretty much swindled everyone he met, but did so with a smile. In fact, he wasn’t really a nice person at all. But, Hagman played the role like a child at play – and for fourteen seasons, that role became one that I almost thought human throughout my school years. Along with a family named Duke from Georgia, it made Friday nights all the more worth looking forward to!

Flash forward to 2012. TNT announced plans to bring the show back. It premiered in June of last year, and I was somewhat skeptical. And, to be honest, the first season was uneven, ending with a season finale that just kind of laid there. But, it was ‘Dallas’ after all, so I would be there in season two.

Of course, before the second (or sixteenth, as I like to call it) season began in January, tragedy struck with the passing of Larry Hagman. Many of the viewers wondered how the show would fare without him. The tribute episode to him, which aired last month, was absolutely brilliant. And, as crazy as it is to believe, the show has stepped it up a notch since then.

It’s still the JR character that drives the shows, as the centerpiece of the series is a plan called “JR’s Masterpiece.” Devised to defeat a pair of the biggest enemies of the Ewing clan, the plot has included more twists than a country road, with pieces of the puzzle falling into place. Only Bobby, his good-guy brother, played superbly by Patrick Duffy in this plotline, knows how it all fits – via a letter written by JR before his mysterious death. Somehow, this plot ties into the disappearance of Bobby’s first wife, Pamela, in 1987, and also into some business sub-plots that have since happened – making you wonder how much JR had actually planned. You have to leave reality at the door, but it’s truly engrossing stuff. Duffy is showing a little bit of a dark side, and Josh Henderson and Julie Gonzalo – as John Ross Ewing, III and his new bride, Pamela Barnes Ewing (Yes, that name has been used before!) are the stars of this new “Dallas.” Henderson studied Hagman’s mannerisims, but yet adds his own style to the youngest John Ross – while Gonzalo – after a whiny first season, has stepped up her game as well. Starting off the season as a evil villianess, she has developed a little more of a softer side as the season goes on – especially after losing her twins she was pregnant with in an accident planned by her own father – Cliff Barnes – to nail the Ewings to the wall.

Well, tonight is season finale night. In a two-hour episode, we find out “who killed JR,” “Where is Pam,” and just how the ‘masterpiece’ plays out. I have tried to figure out where this is going, even visiting the excellent Dallas fan board, www.OilBaronsClub.com, from time to time, but I guess I am going to be guessing until the very end. I hope it results in a Ewing victory. It’s been too long. Either way, I’ll be there tonight just like it’s 1986 all over again!