Monday, April 1, 2013

MUSINGS FROM AN APRIL FOOL....

Hope everyone had a great Easter! It was a slow weekend – the way it should be sometimes. A lot to talk about, so I’ll break it down....

VEGAS
In just a few days, I will be taking my first trip to Las Vegas, NV to cover the Academy of Country Music Awards for Billboard. I am very excited about this, as it will be my first trip to Vegas. It’s going to be a working trip, but hope to see some of the town while I am there. Should be a fun time! I have been exceedingly blessed over the past couple of years in my career. I don’t take any of it lightly.

THE SHOW THIS WEEK
If you get a chance, tune into Kix 96 for the weekly installment of “Crazy Chucky’s Classic Country Corner” this Wednesday. My guest will be one of the greatest singers to have ever graced a microphone, BJ Thomas. We talk about his new album, The Living Room Sessions, which includes duets with some of music’s top stars. One song that has a particular impact on me is “Rock & Roll Lullaby.” This is one of those songs that - to quote Ms. Charlene Darling, “always makes me cry.” I have written before about taking many a Saturday morning trip to 100 Oaks Mall with my mother as a child. On the way there, I remember so many hits of the day on the radio – some Country, but also several pop hits from acts like Dionne Warwick, Debby Boone, Neil Diamond, and yes, BJ Thomas. Some of those songs do take me back a few years, and the older I get---the more they are like lullabies!

TONY ROMO
This week, it was announced that Tony Romo received a contract extension from the Dallas Cowboys that – if played out – will earn him more than Ravens QB Joe Flacco. Really? Take the Super Bowl win away from Flacco, and I would still shake my head in astonishment. Have you seen Flacco’s playoff record? Have you seen Romo’s? Better yet, have you seen Romo’s record in games that would get the Dallas Cowboys into the playoffs? (Uttered in my best Jim Mora impersonation) I am a Cowboys fan, and the struggles the past few years have not all been Romo’s fault, but Jerry Jones, I need a car. That almost would have been money better spent!

NO HOME COOKIN’ LIKE DAD’S
Somewhere over the years, my father perfected the art of making what is called a “Low Country Boil.” It consists of crab meat, sausage, potatoes, shrimp, corn on the cob, and a few other things I am leaving out. When I say “perfected,” think a 1982 episode of “Dallas,” Marilyn Monroe in a white dress, or 72 and sunny on the beach. A few weeks ago, he and Marcia made one for my birthday. Then, while I was in Nashville a few days later, I stopped at a restaurant chain that advertised one on their menu. Not even close. Won’t name names, but suffice to say, there was no comparison...

COINCIDENCE? I THINK NOT!

The past couple of weeks have seen some interesting things happen in my life. (You’re thinking---another rant about being single, right?...Come on, admit it!) None of them bad, but each has given me pause to think and reflect. Some really cool things and people have come into my life as of late. As time goes on, you meet people who impact your life for a reason. It’s neat how God can take on the figure of many people, or at least that’s how I look at it. Whether it be one of the biggest-hearted people in Madison County, who last year urged me to leave it in the Hatchie (she knows who I’m talking about, and I’m still trying), or a couple of people I met last week who reminded me about how God introduces like-minded people together – sometimes in eerie fashion, I think it’s safe to surmise that these things don’t just happen. I used to shy away from thinking that shows like “Touched By An Angel” or songs like “The Christmas Guest” are real....but why not? More often than not, that explanation makes a lot more sense than saying “That’s just fate.” And, to think, we sometimes feel he doesn’t answer us.....See, I didn’t mention anything about my being single....Oops....Well, those are my thoughts for April Fools’ Day......Going to get ready for ‘Dallas’ tonight...two more weeks after today! More on that later.....