Saturday, August 17, 2013

Nashville - It's A Town Full Of Talent!

I am very blessed to be able to cover the careers and lives a lot of talented people. So many artists that I consider myself to be a big fan of, I have gotten to talk to. Then, there are the newer acts that are just starting up. Those are always fun – because you simply never know if one of those that you cover wind up being superstars down the line. To be a part of that story is always something you don’t take lightly.

But, what people don’t realize is there’s a lot more to it than you might think. What I mean by that is there are tons of talented people in this town who you don’t know – unless you grew up like I did – reading liner notes or Music City News or Country Music.

First of all, there are the publicists. These people are the ones that writers work with about as closely as any in the business. Over the past few years, many of these have become among my closest personal friends. Their job is to gain the most coverage for their clients – and it’s not always easy. Whether you are a superstar, a legend, or a newcomer, there are always more demands for your time than you can deal with. That’s what publicists do. They weigh everything out, and try to give that artist the maximum coverage for their time. Some of their job requires what journalists don’t like to hear – saying the word “No.” An artist is just like the rest of us – they have their good days, their bad days, they get sick, they have arguments with their significant other, and may be not on their game that day. They have to decide when an artist can or shouldn’t talk to the media. The juggling act they balance is pretty amazing. I’ve witnessed it first-hand, and you have to have one heck of a psyche to survive. Journalists can be a moody bunch of people (not including me, of course. I’m always a pleasure to be around!), so you have to make sure they are taken care of, and I have seen a few artists get upset with their PR teams as well. They earn their checks, and do it well. Do I have a favorite publicist? Of course! It’s that one that got me my most recent interview! Seriously, they may not write or sing a song that gets on the charts, but the talent is as much there as it is for anyone else.

Then, there are my compadres, if you will. One of the most enjoyable aspects of what I get to do is the company I keep while doing it. This town is full of some of the greatest journalists anywhere. I have to admit, sometimes I feel like I just stumbled in through the back door, and if I don’t tell anyone I’m here – I just might be able to stick around for awhile. But, the fact that Robert K. Oermann, Wade Jessen, Tom Roland, or Holly Gleason knows who I am is pretty cool. I sometimes wonder how I represent myself because I don’t consider myself to be in the class they are. I am a fan, first and foremost. Don’t get me wrong. I take what I do seriously. I think I’m ok at it. But, I enjoy getting to interview people like Reba, Kenny Rogers, Keith Urban, and Carrie Underwood because....I am a fan. It influences every word I write. I was ten years old, and spending my allowance on the $4.96 cassette rack at K-Mart.

I consider it an honor to be able to communicate my passion to you the reader – and friend. Whether it be the retro feel of a project like Lee Ann Womack’s There’s More Where That Came From or Bakersfield -the latest masterpiece from Vince Gill and Paul Franklin – to talking with Carrie and Tim about their latest albums, I love telling you about projects you need to know about. The biggest compliment I get isn’t about how great or eloquent my words are – if you’ve ever read the afore-mentioned Ms. Gleason, she can do things with words that I can not only not do – but never will find out of their existence, but it’s when someone tells me they have sought out a record because of something I’ve written about it. That’s cool. Because, that was me. I may not be the greatest....but don’t doubt my passion. Whether it’s the Oak Ridge Boys 40th Anniversary Tour, Sheryl Crow’s upcoming Country album, or the unbelievable experience of seeing Keith Urban in concert, it’s there.

And, there are so many great writers in this town. I mentioned four, but there are so many more – Vernell Hackett, Deborah Price, Bob Paxman, Jessica Nicholson, and I could go on and on....At the end of the day, it’s all about passion, and this town exemplifies that word....more than the average fan has any idea! I’m just honored to be in the mix. Now, I’m going to the back of the room – just so nobody knows I’m here!

Reporting from Jonesboro, Arkansas, this is Chuck Dauphin - a Keith Bilbrey wanna be!