Monday, August 26, 2013

Random Thoughts For Today....


A lot of topics to cover in this one. Does anything really surprise anyone anymore? Seriously, sometimes you just can’t make the news up.......

CREEK WOOD WINS!
---Back in 2002, Creek Wood High School opened in the north end of Dickson County. Ever the kind hearted diplomat that I am, I always referred to the school as a “White Bluff” school, knowing full well that just infuriated folks in Charlotte and Vanleer. In all honesty, I wasn’t trying to be a smart-aleck, but the local radio station that covered the Red Hawks was a White Bluff one – so that was my basis for that. In 2009, the team began playing Dickson County to start off the season. The first game was semi-close, each year since – not so much. But, for a series to be a rivalry - it has to be more than one sided. This past Friday, Creek Wood got their first win over the Cougars, 17-13. It was a big night for everyone on Jones Creek. Cougar fans, there’s always next year. It was a fun night for football – regardless of which side you were on....

MILEY-GATE
----I just might let a few people down here, but I have never been a prude. However, Miley Cyrus’s appearance on the MTV Video Music Awards Sunday night was a little much. I was joking on Facebook that it made Madonna and Britney Spears look like the Lennon Sisters off the old Lawrence Welk Show – and that is saying something, as some of those ladies’ performances on the same show were legendary. That being said, there actually is a line one shouldn’t go over, and Miley did that. The ironic thing is that in spite of all the ire that she raised among people, it probably did help her profile. As of tonight, two of the top ten downloaded songs on iTunes were....anyone? Miley Cyrus.

AS THE RADIO BROADCASTS
---- I got an unusual amount of feedback last week concerning my blog regarding radio. It’s something that has provided me with a lot of career highlights – and personal highlights over the past twenty-two years. Most of the friends I have made have stemmed from the fact that I have done some radio work. I miss it on a day-to-day basis, but I have been so blessed in other areas. My favorite part about being on the air is without a doubt the relationships that you make with those you work with – and ones you broadcast to. Right now, I am involved with four different stations (sort of), and I am happy to still have a toe in that water.

TWO YEARS AND GROWING
----It was two years ago this week I started my job with Billboard. Looking back, it’s hard to believe that much time has passed by. I am truly blessed to get to do what I do for a living. I have gotten to interview some of the biggest stars in the business, and made some of the best friendships I have ever made. I have often written about wondering whether I am in the class of such people as Tom Roland, Wade Jessen, Deborah Price, and others like them, I still wonder, but I am trying to earn that reputation each day. I am doing what I have always wanted to do. Nobody enjoys what they do anymore.

REALIZATIONS
---- Life has a way of letting you know certain things about yourself. Over the past few years, I have written quite a few blogs about the soul searching that I have done since my divorce. Being alone makes you learn a lot about yourself. Some of that is good. The crazy thing about finding some of those answers is that you wind up at the beginning all over again. I’m 39 years old, and have told myself all my life that I have to have a romantic relationship in order to be happy. I have learned that instead of “a,” the key word is “the.” And, believe me, that’s not taking a shot at anyone. That’s me realizing that I sometimes feel as clueless as I ever have been about the kind of person I want. Some days, you want Betty Crocker. Other days Betty Boop. I hope I find that magical combination at some point in my life – but not to prove to anyone else I can---for myself. Until then, these laptop keys are my companion. It’s not exactly romance, but it’s safe. And, safe sometimes is a pretty good place to be. It’s ok. I’m ok. And, that’s something I never thought I would have said about myself in 1997...2002, or today.

Going to close this blog by offering a word about some very special people that I have gotten to meet recently. There is a group of my friends in Jackson, TN that are organizing an event called Bone Appetit. It’s an event that will take place on October 13 at the West Tennessee Farmer’s Market. It will feature some of the greatest culinary experts in the mid-south, including the chef from the legendary Peabody Hotel in Memphis, Andreas Kisler, among others.

The event will benefit an organization called the Downtown Dogs Group. It’s a 501(c)(3) no-kill rescue that is operated by a couple of angels named Michelle James and Emily Strope. They are committed to the idea that all neglected and abused dogs, regardless of age, breed, health or temperament issues, deserve a chance to have a full and happy life with a loving family. They have never had a fund raiser before, as they have done it all themselves – even down to the finances. This is an event worth making the trip to Jackson, TN for. If you want to take a look at what they do, go to www.DowntownDogsGroup.com – Be prepared to have your heart lifted at the work they do. I know I was!