Saturday, September 14, 2013

Michael Evans Is One Smart Fellow, Says Puddleglum!

Michael Evans, you’re a lot smarter than me. That kind of goes without saying. Let me explain this statement. Michael was one of my classmates at DCHS, Class of 1992. One day, while we were in the midst of those days, he referred to me as “Puddleglum.” For a lot of reasons, I’ve had that term on my mind today. Michael had a very interesting way of looking at things, so I always assumed that “puddleglum” was a word that he came up with. To my surprise, I found out that it refers to a character in the book The Silver Chair- part of the Chronicles of Narnia series. The character is described as “rather gloomy,” and by some of the characters as a “wet blanket.” LOL, That describes my ever-positive outlook on life!

I guess “Puddleglum” fits me this weekend. As I posted on Facebook, I am going to have some outpatient surgery on Monday – sort of related to my hospitalization in May. But, also, sort of not. It has to do with a spot on my foot that was barely even there when I went in. It’s actually for the best to get this taken care of, and it’s a lot better scenario than it could have been. But, it’s still not the way one would like to start their week. The idea of slowing down – even for a day or two – is not something I like to even entertain. Some might not like that, but it behooves (don’t I have the wide vocabulary tonight?) me to stay busy....Otherwise, I think.

Again, let me explain. Today, I had a great start to the day. I drove into Nashville for a meeting with some good friends of mine who are have started a new trio. I may not be the smartest person in the world, and there are others who have made a lot better choices – but talking with people about their love of the music business and the adrenaline shot one gets by being on 16th or 17th Avenue in Nashville – I love it. I simply do. There are people who do what I do better than me – but nobody enjoys their career more than me. But, I’ve written that, haven’t I?

As the afternoon progressed, and I returned home to the trusty old laptop I am typing on right now, “Puddleglum” set in. Today was a beautiful day in Middle Tennessee, with gorgeous conditions and pleasant temperatures. It was the kind of day that was made for a drive somewhere with someone in the passenger seat. But, not just anyone....you know that “one.” Only thing is, she’s not there...right now.

My reaction to this fact is something that has changed a lot since 1990, when I earned that nickname...or 2005, for that matter. That’s encouraging. Being alone makes you realize some things about yourself, why you do things, and for whom you do things. I still want to find a relationship....but it’s got to be right. I don’t want to be forced into it, or feel that I’ve got to have someone to prove to people I can be in one – and that’s not a knock on anyone in my past. It’s just me stating a fact about how I approached things before. I was always so worried about making things work – even when they weren’t – because I didn’t want to look “less than.” Being alone is not how I want to spend my next twenty years – but there are worse things. Wow, that’s kind of prophetic. Plus, there aren’t many available women who have Porter Wagoner in their record collection. (Seriously, that’s not a pre-resquite, but I did see an attractive woman at McKay’s today who bought a John Conlee vinyl album....Note to self...there is hope!)

Anyway, I’m not sure what the point of any of this is, other than to say that five months shy of 40, “puddleglum” might have grown up a little bit. That’s not to say that drive through Montgomery Bell Park today wouldn’t have been more fun had I not been alone, but it’s going to happen. And, unlike the “good old days,” the next time, I’m going to enjoy it rather than worry about losing it – like I should have done once upon a time!

So, on assignment from Burns, TN, this is “Puddleglum” Dauphin signing out....and if you know a woman with a complete Kenny Rogers collection...