Friday, October 11, 2013

Gloria Estefan. Really?

(Sitting at Subway on a Friday night in Centerville wondering why we park on driveways....and drive on parkways!)

Tonight is one of those rare nights for me. There’s nothing pressing that needs to be done – right at this moment. Though it’s a Friday night, I covered my football game last night, and though I could get my articles done for the week after next...lol...that’s what the weekend is for. Friday night in Tennessee during the fall – a pretty nice place to be.

As I write this, this is one of those nights that I have no idea what my fingers will type. I drove to Nashville earlier to pick up some mail. You ever have one of those times when every song you hear just hits you? Tonight, it did. It’s about an hour and ten minute drive from Nashville to Centerville, and between the new CD’s that were sent to me and the tunes on Sirius – I heard some great ones. Biz Markie (You might be surprised to know I know who that is!), Carly Simon, Pink, and even a new song called “Popular,” that even though I will be 40 years old in a few months....I actually liked. Then, Sirius Love Songs played “Here We Are” by Gloria Estefan. Seriously?

OK, let me explain. That song has no personal significance to me as far as a moment in time with someone else. But, a Gloria Estefan love song – on a cool fall night – hits me much the same way a Karen Carpenter classic from the 70s does. Gorgeous...Stunning....but also Really? LOL.

As someone who is single, I can lure myself into not thinking about my romantic state for awhile. But, sometimes you hear a song, and it hits you. It’s not all bad, though. I guess it gives you something to dream about.

I have wrtitten before about the fact that for years I judged myself on if I was seeing anyone. Thankfully, I don’t do that anymore. But, I gotta admit life is a little more excitement filled when there is that someone special in it.
The difference between now and then is I am beginning to understand you have to be happy with yourself in order to truly make someone happy....Wait a minute, did I say that? Wish I had known that in 1996! And, you can’t force it. I mean, you can dress decently, shave when you need to, and stuff, but typically, the woman of your dreams isn’t going to be waiting in the Buck Owens section at Ernest Tubb Record Shop....But, oh, if she were!.....I have shown a willing nature at not doing relationships the right way for whatever reason in my life.....so next time, I am going to let it happen naturally. I don’t like being alone. But, I can handle it. That’s different.

I do believe that she is out there. Who knows, I might even know her? No, that’s not a veiled attempt to say something without saying something....or then again, maybe it is. Only my brain knows for sure. But, sometimes you’ve gotta wait.

Still, a Gloria Estefan song on a fall night with a breeze in the air – not a good thing for the single person. On second thought, maybe I do need to go write an article for three weeks from today.....Good night from Subway!