Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Vegas....One Year Later....

I was just looking back at my blog from one year ago today. I was in the same place - maybe even the same seat that I am now. Waiting on an airplane at Las Vegas to go back home. Whew! What a past few days out here covering the ACM Awards. 

Traveling is something that I love to do. Heck, I even love the airport experience. Even though, there's something to be said about eating a $ 4 Subway for dinner. I have tried to cut down meals to two a day over the past few days - because it's tough to afford $15-20 every time you get hungry. Alas, that is a minor quibble.

From a career level, this has been the most fun past few days of my life. I don't know how good I am or am not at my job, but let me say that nobody enjoys it more. Getting to go places I wouldn't normally get to go or interview people I wouldn't normally interview makes me realize how blessed I am. It might sound a little strange, but I love my work. It - along with spending time with my son from time to time in Kentucky - is my release, my muse if you will. I can't sing or play, but I need music almost as much as I need air.

The most amazing part of the trip this year is the fact that many of the artists that I have gotten to interview over the years kind of know who I am. As someone who spent may a $10 allowance on music as a kid, that just blows my mind. In the press room following the ACM Awards, I got to ask George Strait and Dallas Cowboys owner Jerry Jones questions. Pretty cool stuff! (In fact, Jerry Jones looked right at me while answering as if he was trying to sell me. That was a bucket list moment!) I don't take it for granted what I get to do. I know I say that a lot, but keep in mind that five years ago - I didn't even know if I would still be doing anything in the music / radio field. My job of almost two decades had came to a sudden end - which also set off a domino effect in my life of a lot of other things. 

However, I'm still here. The difference between now and ten years ago is that I know it's not me. God has put me in place for so many things in my life that I simply offer him the praise and the credit. He did bless me with the talent, but it's all him. Maybe struggling a little bit made me work harder, take a few more chances, but God has led me here. Trust me, I'm not smart enough to imagine all this. He also protects me. There's been so many times where I have been absolutely worried about losing my shirt, and those smarter decisions I write about making haven't taken place nearly as often as I would like, but when I think the sky is falling....he steps in and calms the storm. Praise God for that!

So, it's time to go wait on the plane!....One year from now at this time, I hope to give you an update again - Lord willing, I will be flying back from Dallas, where the ACM's will be in 2015. Looking forward to seeing Cowboys Stadium - as well as that white ranch house just outside of Plano that you know and I hope to make a quick trip to!

Blessed from Las Vegas........C