Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Changing My Frequency

This is different from my usual approach with this blog, because I am not going to advertise this one as much as I usually would. It's not because I don't stand behind what I am writing - I do - maybe more than ever....but I am putting this up for one person more than anyone else...me!

This week has been a difficult one for me. Were it not for a 2am phone call last night, I would have very likely gone crazy. I don't tell many people when the bad stuff happens because I don't want to bother anyone. We all have our problems - and sometimes, we bring some of it on ourselves.

Without going into detail about the "What," my friend who I kept from sleep suggested that I look into a book called The Secret. It wasn't the first time that had been suggested. My feelings concerning books like those are that it's probably going to help someone like Joel Osteen a lot more than me. And, I think the answers to a lot of the questions we have about life can be found within the pages of the Bible. But, I found a copy of the book for $2.50, and with a trip to Vegas around the corner, I knew I would need something to read. So I bought it. I had a few minutes to kill before going on the air today, so I started to read. One thing I found very interesting is an early portion of the book about "Changing The Frequency," where it says that if there's something you don't like on television - you change the channel. The author compared this to life - a very good point. So, this is my first attempt to learn some of the lessons inside the book.

I realized that while life has dealt me a few curve balls the past few years, the magic is how you handle it. My grade? Yikes. We don't want to go there. I've made more than my share of mistakes - some I could help, and others I don't see a way around. That being said, what the book brought to my attention is how I have always thought about life. That's something that I have to change - or my life is never going to get any better.

I have always told myself that good things weren't going to happen to me. Whether that stemmed from being picked on in school by people for being a little off center - or a general lack of confidence, I've done that all my life. 'The sky is going to fall.' There's no stopping it. In a way, I am writing this as a note to myself to look at the positive things in my life that God has blessed me with. The wheels haven't fallen off the wagon. Though, to be honest, I am finding out that I have something to do with to that fact myself. I have never thought I was worthy of success - not claiming to be better than I am, but you are what you think. That's got to change. From a career standpoint, it has gotten better. Financially, it's tough. Career and finances don't always go together. But, I am to blame for some of it for poor decision making - and poor self-opinion. But, I am realizing this week that if you want to have different results in life, you need to go down different roads. I pray - and ask for your prayers that I can do this. Whether that be believing in myself to the point of a new outlook on life and the possibilities in life or in love, God has not let me down any along my path - though I haven't made it easy. So, lesson one from The Secret - Believe in yourself and your life. Believe it can happen to you - rather than someone else. Writing this isn't going to make it an automatic thought process for me, but it gives me something to look at. And, if it's on the Internet, it has to be true, right?