Friday, March 28, 2014

A Few 'Great Debates' For You!

I have been rather heavy and philosophical as of late. LOL, I am sure my next blog will be. But, I thought I would lighten things up just a little bit. I joked a couple of weeks ago that my posts here were becoming too life and death-related, and I was going to write about people I wanted to go out with. Well, I don’t know if the Internet has that much room – but it did get me thinking about celebrity crushes, and some of those great debates that people have gotten into from time to time. Television has been the medium where most of us developed our first crush. I am no different. To this day, I still can’t make up my mind if it was Linda Gray from ‘Dallas’ or Valerie Bertinelli from ‘One Day At A Time.’ (Incidentally, I watched an old episode of ‘Family Feud’ on YouTube the other night that featured the cast of both shows in an all-star celebrity square-off. All I will say is I would have loved to have been Richard Dawson!)

But, it occurred to me that there have been some great debates about beauty and attraction over the years.....Take, for instance.....

Ginger vs. Mary Ann / Maybe the ultimate debate among television viewers concerns itself with the classic 1960s series ‘Gilligan’s Island,’ in which Bob Denver was stranded with both Tina Louise and Dawn Wells on a desert island. Well, there were four others...but seriously! People were either charmed by the small-town innocence of Wells’ Mary Ann Summers or the movie star sizzle of Louis. e’s Ginger Grant. It has been the debate for the ages! But, most people I have talked to seem to lean toward Mary Ann, proving good always wins. While both were stunning, there was a sweetness about Mary Ann that Dawn Wells brought out beautifully. But, there were other debates...

The “Supernatural” Women / In 1964, ABC delivered one of its’ first major sitcom hits with “Bewitched.” The show starred Elizabeth Montgomery as newlywed Samantha Stephens, who was also....a witch. It’s interesting to note that most people’s thoughts of witches seemed to deal with The Wizard Of Oz before the show debuted. With a twitch of that nose, Montgomery charmed the world. The next year, NBC premiered “I Dream Of Jeannie,” which was the story of Larry Hagman’s Tony Nelson – who struck gold when he found a beautiful genie on the beach. A witch with a twinkle of her nose or a genie...without a navel? Ah, the debate has endured for five decades. This one is tough, as Barbara Eden was, and is , one of the most beautiful women to ever grace the TV screen. But, there was something about that witches’ dress. All I am saying.....

Those are two of the biggest debates, but there are others. In 1978, viewers got a taste of what happens in the world of radio with the debut of ‘WKRP In Cincinnati’ The show was more true than most might think. If you have ever worked in radio, you probably worked around a Les Nessman, Johnny Fever, Venus Flytrap, or a Mr. Carlson. And, you just might have worked around a Jennifer, played by the voluptuous Loni Anderson. But, as much of a sex symbol as she became, there was something about Jan Smithers, wasn’t there? Her character of Bailey wasn’t as in-your-face gorgeous as Anderson, but I know of many radio guys who admitted to a crush on Smithers over Anderson.

And, there were others.....Which ‘Hee Haw’ Honey was your favorite? (Gunilla), Favorite ‘Friend’ (I run the gamut here, sometimes Jennifer Aniston, sometimes Lisa Kudrow, but always Courtney Cox)....or which ‘Waltons’ sister did you like? (Torn between Erin and Mary Ellen, but have to go with Erin)..........

And, for fans of the male gender.....there are some interesting debates to be had.......Bo or Luke? Magnum, PI or Michael Knight of ‘Knight Rider?’ or going back to the 70s, were you a David Cassidy, aka ‘Keith Partridge’ fan, or did your heart skip a beat for the oldest of the boys named ‘Brady,’ Greg?

The cool thing is there are no right or wrong answers. And, at the end of the day, it’s a lot more entertaining of a debate than a political one, don’t you think? If nothing else, hopefully, I’ve made you smile a little bit this week....and brought back a cool memory of a poster you might have had on your wall!