Friday, March 14, 2014

Mattie

Feeling kind of melancholy tonight. I just got off the phone with my father, and Mattie Bandy – my second cousin – passed away tonight.

Death has affected me on a lot of different levels over the past few years – and months. I have written about the passing of my pet dog Brownie, as well as Warren Medley just a few weeks ago. But, this one hits just as hard.

Mattie was the first cousin of my mother. Some of my favorite memories as a child were of trips to Mattie’s house in Centerville. It seemed that unless we went to see my father’s side of the family in Illinois, we went to Mattie’s for Thanksgiving and Christmas. I rememeber the smell of a turkey dinner combined with the heat of her old electric heater while laying on the couch watching the Cowboys on turkey day. Sweet person as she was, Mattie had a (semi) smart-aleck sense of humor. But, she was a Clymer, after all....and If anything else, my mother said what she thought, so they did fit together. (I just realized that I am doubly cursed on the smart-aleck side of things. I have Clymer and Dauphin blood flowing through my veins. Wow....)

Mattie had two husbands and two children pass away before she did. I wasn’t alive when her first husband passed away in the mid 60s. But, she married after him to a fine man named RG. They had a daughter named Connie, in 1966. Again, I was yet to have been born at this time, but I have seen pictures of her. Just a beautiful little girl. Blonde hair and Blue eyes. I wasn’t there, but I bet she was spoiled by her parents – as well as just about everyone she came into contact with. I know my parents were crazy about her, as she charmed my father as well. Before she was three, she passed away in January of 1969.

I’ve written a lot about some of the struggles I have had in my life – particularly the past few years. But, how one survives burying your own child – who never had the chance to grow up, I don’t know if there is any greater pain than that. But, she persevered. She and her husband became parents once again, to Caren. She was a great mother, and I’m sure she was grateful for that second chance at that. Caren graduated from high school in 1987, and RG passed away from cancer a couple of years later. Then, in 1995, Caren died. I remember Mattie’s grief at the funeral home just like it was yesterday.

I always considered Mattie almost like an angel. I would go down to Centerville and visit her every now and then from that point on. Then, in 2005, Mama died. I remember those visits picking up with greater frequency. If anyone knew how it felt to lose someone you love, it was Mattie. I wanted to learn from her how you got past those feelings. One day that winter, I was at her house, and we were talking about death when I got the answer. You don’t. Though it had been close to forty years since little Connie had died, her tears flowed and her voice broke just like it was only yesterday. You adjust. To some extent, you maybe even heal. But, you never forget.

Whenever people want to attack Christianity, it amazes me that some think that Christians live in somewhat of a bubble and just accept anything that happens in their life in the name of faith. Trust me when I tell you that being a Christian is not easy. Faith is something that is learned, and doesn’t happen overnight. But, the life of Mattie Bandy was one that taught me a great deal about patience. I don’t know that I have applied it as well as I need to, but her life was a lesson in it everyday. Though it’s a sad night in the ‘Ville, somewhere there’s a pretty big reunion going on tonight – and two women might be talking about a shopping trip up yonder. Also, there are probably a few dogs that will be happy to see an old friend! And, that is not a bad thing at all!