Thursday, August 14, 2014

Reflections On The War From Within...

This week has been an emotionally charged week for many. This Monday afternoon, upon returning from a trip to Virginia, I stopped to get something to eat. I checked my Facebook, and there were all kind of reports about Robin Williams dying. At first, I thought it likely was some kind of Facebook hoax – which happens from time to time. But, as time went on, I found out that the news was all too true. And, as the facts came in, it appeared that Mr. Williams took his own life.

Since then, there have been posts galore about Williams’ career, and just what he meant to people. But, along the way, there have been several other discussions. Some have been honest discussions about suicide and depression, while others have uttered phrases such as “selfish” and “I hope his heart was right.” There has even been one national personality who has linked Williams’ death with his political leanings. Wow. You can’t make this stuff up.

I have to say that my feelings on such a topic as depression has changed greatly over the years. I used to think people used such a term – or a panic attack as a cop out when they didn’t want to deal. Time – and life – has since proved me wrong. Back in 2009, my life – which had always been pretty much constant – began to totally unravel. The job that had always defined me disappeared one day – and so did my identity. And, that – along with other factors – led to other things going south. I tried to handle things the only way I knew, and sought counseling from different people. I thought I had a handle on it. 2010 would prove otherwise. 
 
There was an afternoon about four years ago where I decided I had had enough. I am not going into the circumstances of what led me down that path – but there was an event that shook me to my very core, making me scared of what was around the corner. Have you ever had that sinking feeling that you knew you couldn’t change things? That’s how I felt.

So, that night, I took a few pills. Now, let me say, I wonder just how serious I was about it at the time, because I never learned how to drink – or anything about dosage. But, let’s just say that I took more than average. I was done. I went to sleep that night, hoping that there would be no more.

And, then the next morning, I woke up. Needless to say, I was surprised. I would love to tell you that my darkness was over, but it wasn’t. I didn’t escape the events that I was so fearful of. They happened – and if it weren’t for God – and a doctor in Statesboro, GA named John Adams – I don’t know if I would be here to look back at how much my life has changed since then – for the better, and continues to change.

But, I am one of the lucky ones. For many, there is no “next day.” But, to call someone who has reached the depth of despair selfish – and dismiss their act as a form of attention getting – is totally wrong. There are a lot of people whose shoes I have never walked in – who have never walked in mine. Back in 1998, I might have totally wrote something else, but depression is real – and it’s not something you choose. It grabs hold of you, and paralyzes you. In a sense, it’s like alcoholism. Once you are, you might cope with it, but you always are. You don’t just simply “Get Over It.” Whether it be a divorce, a death, losing a job, or financial disaster – it’s not something you can just put away. But, you can cope with it.

I wasn’t planning on posting this. I know that some will likely have a different opinion of me than they had before. That’s ok. There have been so many comments this week about that have totally infuriated me – and made me sad. But not sad because those are people’s opinions. I would love to have never made a mistake in life, never bounced a check, been married to my sweetheart for 20 plus years with my 3.2 children and 2.3 cars in the drive – and never known those depths. Trust me, I would. Sad because someone who gave so much to so many – and while I was a fan of many of Williams’ movies, I can’t say that I followed his career as intently as a Burt Reynolds or a Larry Hagman – but I ask....Has anyone heard one negative story about Williams this week? Whether it be his support of St. Jude, Rescue Animals, or his family, the man definitely seemed to have a heart as big as Texas. For him not to get that is the saddest tragedy of all. But, I get it. And, if you don’t.....please do me a favor. Shut up, because you probably never will. And, for what it’s worth, I hope you never do.