Sunday, October 26, 2014

A Letter To Mom....

October 26, 2014

Mom,

It’s been nine years since you’ve been gone. Sometimes, it feels like yesterday, and sometimes like an eternity ago. I never totally understood what it’s like to think about someone who has been gone every day – until you. There hasn’t been a day that has gone by since you left that there hasn’t been at least one thought of you in my mind. To be honest, I never thought I would get through the first year, and now it’s been a lot longer than that. Time goes by, I guess.

I wonder sometimes if you’re aware of what is going on down here. The past eight years have been the most amazing times of my life. Not to say that it hasn’t been a roller coaster, as those amazing times have included some highs that I never thought imaginable – and some lows that I also didn’t expect. I’m not quite sure how I have handled everything. Work-wise, I like to think I busted my backside trying to work myself up in the business. There have been some low points - but overall, I have no complaints. I have gotten to interview people and go places that I never thought possible. I am trying to take advantage of everything I can possibly do – from writing about everyone from recording artists to football and basketball to whatever comes my way. I enjoy the writing about music as much as anything. I never could sing but for whatever reason, I need music – and to tell people about it – like I need air. It’s about the only thing I know. I feel like I am on the right track. I hope you can see some of that.....

On the other hand, there are a few times I have thought it might be a good thing if you are totally unaware of the past nine years. I always haven’t handled things as well as I should have – or was taught to. I get very down on myself at times, and there are days where I can be a moody son-of-a.....I’m not too proud of my mistakes....but at the same time....I have learned from some of them.

I am so proud of the relationship I have with my son. You’d be really proud of him. We are closer than we’ve ever been before. I am grateful for that. Would go through everything all over again – for that reason alone. I still haven’t given up hope about the right one coming along. I try not to judge myself on whether I’m dating someone or not, but sometimes I still do. Truth be told, I guess I always will. But, there are worse things than being alone. But, that special someone....I still dream and hope for that. That might require me taking a few more chances. But, I don’t need – or want them to be my “savior.” I’ve got one, and if anyone saves me, I’ve got to be the one. I’ve also got to take care of myself. I let things get out of control there. I still fight depression, but I’m trying. I just try to work like crazy so I don’t think about it.

I never hear a Conway Twitty song that I don’t think of you. I still try to tune into QVC for at least a few minutes on July 25 for “Christmas In July,” and somewhere between the 26th and your birthday on the 30th, I will probably be found at a Red Lobster drinking a Pina Colada in honor of you. But, all that stuff is symbolic. I miss talking to you – hearing your voice. A few years ago, I was dubbing some interviews onto CD, and I found a phone call where you had called the station. Wasn’t more than 30 seconds, if that long, but it was good to hear. I wonder what you would have to say about different things in my life – good or bad.

Anyway, I am going to close this note to you by just telling you that I was thinking of you today, and though it sounds like I am very melancholy....I am actually in a better place than I was in 2013....or 2012..and so forth. I’m closer to God than ever before. He’s always had my back – but I’ve noticed it a lot more since moving back to Tennessee. Still have a few pieces of the puzzle I would like to try to insert into my life, still hoping that my second act is more successful than my first, but I am working on it Don’t give up on me just yet.....and if a little bossy Siamese cat comes knocking on your door, take her in. I sent her!