Wednesday, July 15, 2015

The House That Built Me, Volume 8: Storms Of Life





I hope you have been enjoying this series of blogs and radio shows about some of the music that shaped my interest in this crazy business. It’s been fun going down memory lane and reliving some past memories.



After being in this business since 1991, people will ask me ‘What is your favorite album?’ It’s like thinking about your favorite song – or the most beautiful woman you’ve ever seen. It can be subject to change. In my first blog on this topic back in June, I guess I answered it with The Gambler by Kenny Rogers. But, the album I was the most excited about adding to my collection – Storms of Life by Randy Travis, hands down.



Granted, I was four years old when Kenny came out with his disc, so I actually didn’t go out and buy it. But, with Randy, it was a little different. In 1986, Randy Travis was taking over the format in a way that you don’t see today. On January 1, he was virtually unknown outside of The Nashville Palace, where he was a dishwasher who also entertained the crowds – as Randy Ray. By years’ end, he had two number one records and was a member of The Grand Ole Opry.



The song that broke his career wide open was “1982,” followed up by a song that he had originally released first, titled “On The Other Hand.” It only hit # 67 on the charts, but the second time around it made it all the way to the top. Randy Travis was a definite breath of fresh air for fans who liked a more traditional style. The format also had Skaggs, Strait, and Reba doing more earthier type music – but each of those artists were very much established with at least five years of success. Randy Travis was the first newcomer in a while who spoke – and sang like Lefty and George. He was definitely a throwback artist, and the album represented that. I was twelve at the time, and getting a $10 allowance each week…..and wanted to add Storms Of Life to my collection something fierce.



First of all, I tried to win it. He was a favorite of The Music Country Radio Network – the nighttime programming on WSM-AM, and they gave away several copies of the album….but I never could be the right caller. Then, one day, I was in Wal-Mart, and there it was - with a $5.97 retail sticker on it, and I snapped it up – and even had three dollars left!



Almost three decades later (!), that album still holds up today. (Well, I did upgrade to CD, but you get the idea.) The singles – “1982,” “On The Other Hand,” “Diggin’ Up Bones,” and “There’s No Place Like Home” – are all still classics. But, the album cuts were just as dynamic – “Reasons I Cheat,” “Send My Body,” “Messin’ With My Mind,” and “There’ll Always Be A Honky Tonk Somewhere,” – those songs deserve a listen as well. Heck, even the album cover – with Randy standing in front of an old country store – was kind of retro looking, fitting quite nicely with the sounds inside of it. (One time in an interview, Randy said he tried to find that store many times since the album cover shoot, but to no avail. He joked that it was somewhere between “Difficult” and “Defeated.”)



Join me on the July 22 edition of Crazy Chucky’s Classic Country Corner as we shine the spotlight on an album that helped usher in the “New Traditonalist” era with a bang – Storms of Life by Randy Travis. The show airs at 1pm, and is brought to you by Tennessee Properties.