Wednesday, July 22, 2015

The House That Built Me: Volume 9 - Deliver






For the past few weeks, I have been writing about albums that have been among my favorites during my life and career. This week is no different, but if you had asked me in 1985, I would have told you that I HATED the album Deliver by The Oak Ridge Boys.

There. I said it. Now, let me add (after apologizing to Duane, William Lee, Richard and Ban-Joey, who have been among my best friends in this business) that things have changed. But, every day – or so it seemed from 1984-1985, when I would ride in my Mom’s Caprice Classic, I would hear that tape….over…and over…and over….So much, in fact, that if I knew she wouldn’t kill me, I would have got a pair of scissors and snipped the tape……but I didn’t.

Basically, I could have quoted every lyric of every song. It was guaranteed to be playing at 2:45 pm when school was dismissed at Burns Elementary School or when we went to Kroger – or when we went to Nashville….We were going to hear “In The Pines”…..”Ozark Mountain Jubilee”….and “Alice Is In Wonderland”….At the age of ten, I held my breath hoping she would stay there with her fairy tale love. They both got on my nerves! The album also contained “I Guess It Never Hurts To Hurt Sometimes” – which for some reason I didn’t loathe as much. Maybe because I thought the video was cool – After all, the director caught Charlie Chase coming out of the rest room at WSM Radio – a priceless moment. But, again….I wanted so much to lose the tape….and find some Kenny Rogers or something.

But, as I got older, the album kind of endeared itself to me. “Ain’t No Cure For The Rock & Roll” was a kickin’ tune – and I loved the references to “Elvira” and “Bobbie Sue.” They also cut “When You Get To The Heart,” which Barbara Mandrell covered – with the Oaks on harmony – a couple of years later. Occasionally, I would pop the tape in and listen…..Not every day, mind you….but from time to time.

To this day, I am not sure why that particular album struck a chord with her. I know she thought Duane and Richard were handsome…..but we never talked about it. A few years later, she moved on to The Bellamy Brothers’ Country Rap CD…..and then on to Conway Twitty. (One of my fondest memories was sneaking a Buck Owens CD in to her player one night instead of Conway…….Got a good yelling at  for that one!)

Of course, I say all that in jest now. Mama passed away in October 2005, and that tape brings back nothing but good memories. The Oaks have become friends of mine (I still think that’s weird to look at and know it’s true……but they are the best!), and I paid a pretty penny for a good copy of Deliver on CD not too long ago….Ah, the irony. I guess I need to play it. So, coming up on the July 29 edition of “Crazy Chucky’s Country Classic Corner,” I’ll play Deliver….in all of its’ entirety….one more time. Join me on WNKX FM 96.7 at 1pm for the flashback in time to 1984…..brought to you by Tennessee Properties!