Monday, October 5, 2015

Happy Birthday, WSM!






Today was a special day for a lot of people that I respect and admire very much. If you were to tune into WSM 650 AM, you would have heard many voices that have graced that station over the years. The reason for the homecoming was the 90th birthday of the station.

I can’t tell you the first time I listened to WSM. It has always been a part of my existence – even though my radio won’t pick it up now in my apartment! I remember listening to Charlie Douglas one night on the Music Country Radio Network – the nightly programming of the station in the 1980s – and he had Grandpa Jones and Barbara Mandrell on that night. I couldn’t tell you if they were live or if it was taped, but it left a mark. Then, one night when I was twelve, I won tickets from Mark Mabry to go see Hank Williams, Jr. play the Opry House for a TNN special. My brother Randall, my father, and I went to Nashville. We had to pick up the tickets from the station offices, located on McGavock Pike, and killed time before the show walking around the Opryland Hotel. I remember being captivated by the station’s studios in the Magnolia Lobby. That night I bought a Country Song Roundup with Johnny Cash on the cover – and the die was set from that moment on. While I didn’t know what I was going to do specifically, I wanted it to revolve around music and radio.

From that point on, WSM was an important part of my life. I shadowed Keith Bilbrey and Hairl Hensley for school projects in Junior High, and tried to win everything the station gave away. If you ask Keith, I probably did. But, there were others that left a mark…..Larry Black and Liz White in the mornings….Buddy Sadler and the “All That’s News” hour from 5-6pm each weekday. I didn’t know what the stock market meant – and still am rather clueless in that era…..but I knew what Cracker Barrel was trading at each afternoon! I was also blessed to be able to have memories of listening to Grant Turner on the Opry, as well.

As I started my career in radio in 1991, WSM was always the goal, kind of the gold standard. I wanted to work for those call letters more than anything….and still do, for that matter. I’ve since had success in a lot of different areas, but I wouldn’t mind for one week saying I was an employee at 2644 McGavock. (And, for a year, I was….sort of….more on that later!)

The station influenced me from a programming standpoint, as well. I became PD at WDKN in 1995, and one might rightfully say that I took a lot of inspiration (I could call it stealing, but I digress!) from the work of Kyle Cantrell, who was the Operations Manager there. I appreciated the way that he merged the present with the past – which isn’t an easy task at WSM……Over the years, I also became friends with several of the newer personalities there, such as Bill Cody and Eddie Stubbs. The station – and the music around it – mean so much to me, and has for thirty years.

In 1995, one of my sisters from another mister, Marcia Campbell, went to work for WDKN doing a weekly bluegrass show. A few years later, she was offered a job on the Interstate Radio Network – the 1990s equivalent of Music Country. When she was in the position of hiring talent for the network, I got the call one night coming home from a basketball game. She asked if I would be interested. I wouldn’t have been more so if she had offered me a date with Faith Hill. (Well….)

So, from January 1999 until January of 2000, I was on the air on the Interstate Radio Network at night on the weekends – although I did do quite a bit of fill in work. The overnight shift was different, but it remains one of the highlights of what I have done in my career. Of course, that meant I was on WSM. The late night callers ran the gamut – from some of the format’s biggest stars to lonely people looking for a voice to listen across America. I was grateful for the opportunity from her. In late 1999, WSM made the decision to originate its’ own programming at night again….so my last night on the “Air Castle of The South” was….January 1, 2000. Regardless of whatever I do in my career, nobody can take away the fact that I was the very first voice heard on the 650 channel during the new millennium. Marcia Campbell, you know I love you…..and appreciate you so much for that!

So, Happy Birthday to WSM Radio…..Here’s hoping for 90 more years, and if you still have my resume on file….lol….give me a call!