Tuesday, October 13, 2015

The Music That Built Me, Volume 21: Pickin' On Nashville






All throughout this “Music That Built Me” series, I have talked about how different albums have influenced me at different points of my life and my career. This week, I take you back to an album that will always occupy a special place in my heart – Pickin’ On Nashville by The Kentucky Headhunters.



Though it was released in the fall of 1989, the full impact of this album wouldn’t be totally felt for me until 1990. That was the year that my brother from another mother – Randall, and I both got our Tennessee drivers permits and licenses.



I am not going to tell you that I can tell you what kind of engine my first car had. I’m not built that way. I can actually deflate a tire when I am trying to inflate one, but I can tell you that the Headhunters’ first tape(!) was among the first that ever was in my car deck – and for that matter, Randall’s. He might tell you Clarence Carter…..but he can stretch the truth from time to time.



My first car was an 88’ Sentra, and Randall’s was….well, I don’t know – other than the fact that it was from the 70s, it was red, and it was big…..LOL….I think it even occupied its’ own zip code, to be honest with you. But, riding in that car to Nashville and around town, as we would do – I can’t help but think of their high octane version of “Walk Softly.” These guys were old school musicians, but they weren’t doing it Bill Monroe’s way. They rocked it – and did so with hillbilly swagger. While I won’t say that Pickin’ On Nashville would be the best album of all time (but I wouldn’t argue too much about it), I would say that it was the most fun album I have ever heard – before or since.



And….why wouldn’t it have been? Besides “Walk Softly,” the guys also tipped the covers hat to “Skip A Rope,” as well as Don Gibson’s “Oh Lonesome Me.” The originals were just as solid, with the 50s sound of “Rock and Roll Angel” and “My Daddy Was A Milkman” being what I would call “Roll down the windows songs.”



It’s been twenty-six years since the album was released. Those cars are long gone. There are children….grandchildren (in Randall’s case)….divorces…..health scares, etc. But, whenever I hear that album, I turn fifteen and sixteen all over again.



In the fall of 2014, I was blessed to take a drive with my friend Ben Ewing to interview the Headhunters about that album and its’ unique place in Music City history. I will forever treasure that afternoon, as well as the friendships I have developed with the band themselves over the years. They look and sound like no one else, but their hearts are unparalleled when it comes to being legit.



I can’t guarantee that you will feel like a kid again, but join me on the October 21 edition of “Crazy Chucky’s Country Classic Corner,” which will shine the spotlight on Pickin’ On Nashville, brought to you by Tennessee Properties. While I can’t promise you a time machine trip, I can tell you that you’ll have a lot of fun!