Sunday, July 26, 2009

A Piece Of Americana.....

There are a lot of things that I could write about this week. First, I will tell you that I received some exciting news a week ago when I found out that my sports broadcasting career for Dickson County High School will continue...albeit for another station---The Dove 94.5 FM. I'll fill you in on the details on that in the coming weeks, but it will be the same people that you have come to know and depend on bringing you the sports from Cougar Hill---just on another station. I am looking forward to that, but as I said...more on that later!

One of the other jobs that I am very blessed is the newspaper work I do for THE DICKSON HERALD. In one form or another, I have written for the newspaper since 2002, and it's something that I like to think I have gotten better at over the years. Thursday afternoon, the phone rang. It was Chris Gadd, the editor of the paper. He wanted to know if I could make a run to Clarksville that night to cover the Burns All-Stars in their bid to make the Tennessee Little League State Championship game. It just so happened I could make the trip, so I did. Burns played Tullahoma, and knocked them off 5-0. The win meant that there would be another trip up Highway 48 north the next evening, as Burns---my hometown----would be taking on Donelson for the big enchilada....the title.

You might think that a Little League Championship game wouldn't have the same bite as say, the Super Bowl...or the Blue Cross Bowl. I wouldn't be so sure. Have you ever been? If you want intensity, this is the place. The Burns crowd was loud and proud of their youngsters, and believe me...they showed it. Dickson Countians, as a whole, have a reputation for getting a little crazy at sporting events, and people who live (hopefully) in the next Dickson County community to get a Dollar General are no different.

Burns started off with a quick 1-0 lead, and that got the crowd going. If all these kids will still be zoned for Cougar Hill, DCHS is going to be loaded in about seven or eight years. Sadly, a state title was not in the cards. Donelson came back, and eventually won the game 6-3.

Still, finishing second in the state (after falling to the losers' bracket) is nothing to be sneezed at. It was great to see the cheers get even louder after the game was over.....Though I don't get out to many Little League games during the year....I totally get why people love the competition at the purest level. Laughter, Tears, Cheers from the crowd....you will hear and see it all...and you'll be glad you did.....Plus, the food from the concession stand is usually all that it's cracked up to be! Congratulations to these young kids who showed their stuff all season long and made Burns crowd....Just get ready for next year.....Batter up!