Sunday, March 13, 2011

FROM SCHUYLER TO FACEBOOK

I hadn't planned on blogging today. But, something caught my eye that I just had to comment on. As anyone who knows me can attest, I have a deep love for pop culture from the 70s and 80s. OK, maybe Country culture more so than Pop, but this has nothing to do with music. A lot of my favorite memories growing up centered around the television. I was blessed to grow up in the days of three networks and PBS----long before cable, satellite, and DVR. In the late 70s, you actually had to watch the show when it came on.

I've written before of my love of CBS Friday night staples The Dukes of Hazzard and Dallas. But, Thursday nights were also special on the network. I'm sure that many of you remember the classic series The Waltons. Many a Thursday night at 7pm central, one would find me in front of the 19" TV at the Dauphin home in Burns watching the warm and tender stories of a family pulling together during the Great Depression. Through DVD, it's still one of my favorites, and my children have gotten in on it,as well. I've been to Schuyler, Va (The real life Waltons' Mountain) on several occasions, and hope to take the kids there at the end of the school year. I've got a Waltons Lunch Box, the Waltons' Christmas Record, and even interviewed Jon Walmsley (Jason) and Earl Hamner, Jr. (the creator, narrator, and of course, the real life "John Boy) before. As far as interviews go, the two times I have interviewed Mr. Hamner might be my favorite ones ever.

It's due to Mr. Hamner that I am writing this blog tonight. Every now and then, I check out the great website dedicated to the series, www.the-waltons.com, and there is a link to a fan forum. I look at this from time to time, and saw a subject heaading that caught my eye---EARL HAMNER, JR. LOOKING FOR FRIENDS ON FACEBOOK......Wow....That one threw me for a loop.

Mr. Hamner, now 87 years young, is still writing and living in California. So, the fact that he is still active didn't surprise me. But, I thought it was kind of cool that the man who grew up in the 1930s, served his country in WW2, gave his family life in books and on the screen, is out there on the web. I mean, there's not many from that era on Facebook. You know, I just wonder what his TV prototype, John-Boy Walton, who published the first newspaper in Jefferson County---THE BLUE RIDGE CHRONICLE would think.....I bet he'd be impressed as well! Here's the link.......

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/group.php?gid=5532659077

I'm not even on Facebook yet, but have heard from several in the past few weeks that have suggested it. But, you know, if it's good enough for "John-Boy," it's good enough for the rest of us. Good night, Grandpa!