Wednesday, March 16, 2011

A SALUTE TO A GOOD MAN...MAKE THAT TWO!

There is some degree of truth in this statement...lol....Radio engineers have a mindset all their own. So do radio station owners. They simply think different than on-air talent or Music Directors. However, in my twenty years of doing radio.....there are a few exceptions to the rule.


Steve Turner is one such person. He's been involved in radio at Centerville, TN since Marconi delivered the first radio to Hickman County some time ago.....But, seriously...whether on-air, sales, management, or ownership....he's one of the nicest guys you'd ever want to meet.....and he "gets" radio. If you have to ask if an owner "gets" it, you've got your answer to what that means!

I've known Steve for about twenty years. I actually interviewed with him for a job back in 1993. As it turned out, I didn't get it. But that's ok.....a few years later I ended up working for him at Kix 96, and I can honestly say that I have had few better work experiences in my career. Well, this weekend is going to be a big one for that radio voice formerly known as "Little Stevie Turner." He's going to be roasted by several in Centerville to benefit the Charlie Garner Foundation. It should be fun, because Hickman County has some legendary smart alecks----I mean that with the utmost of sincerity, as I myself am a smart aleck!


I had been planning to make the trip up this weekend to be at the roast for Steve. But, last week, I was washing dishes, and the phone rang. It was Steve, and he asked me not to come......Ok, I had to say it like that.....Actually, there's a big remote going on in Linden Saturday, and with the full-time staff at the station all being tied up, he asked me to work....which I gladly consented to. In any case, I will say to my fellow Hickman Countians to not burn him too bad. He's too good a man for it!. Plus, he had the sense to marry Wanda, and that shows his smarts, as well!


There's another good man that I have to bring up right now...He turns 76....Oops...getting ahead of myself...another number with a 6 in it on Sunday....Happy Birthday, Dad! I love you.....Hey, I'm preparing early!Bold