Saturday, March 26, 2011

R.I.P. ELIZABETH TAYLOR

Unless you live in a cave, then you know that Elizabeth Taylor, one of Hollywood's greatest stars of all time passed away early Wednesday morning at the age of 79.Much has been made of both her beauty and her legend in the days since. Her beauty? Well, that speaks for itself. Though I have only seen one of her movies all the way through, that was apparent enough. Those eyes and that dark hair...I can understand why many feel she was the most beautiful movie star of all time, even surpassing Marilyn Monroe.

Because of my being born in 1974, I grew up not really thinking of Elizabeth Taylor as a movie star, but more of a pop culture icon---more famous for her marriages than her acting. In reality, though she made movies until the early part of this decade off and on, she cut back considerably on acting in major films during her marriages to Richard Burton and John Warner. So, her better films were made before I was born, and though I do like a lot of classic films,I just never really got into the mainstream Hollywood classics.

But, then....about ten years ago or so, my good friend and long-time co-worker Ken Loggains were discussing major news of the day while at work----like 'What's on TV tonight.' And I mentioned that TBS or TNT or TCM....one of the Turner channels was showing "Giant" that night. One of the first things that Ken and I bonded over was the fact that we were fans of the TV show "Dallas." He seemed shocked that I had never seen "Giant." I remember him telling me 'If you love 'Dallas,' you will love "Giant."

So, that night, I went back to 1955, and watched the story of former friends Rock Hudson and James Dean, and how it came to a bitter end over.....Elizabeth Taylor. Sound familiar, "Dallas" fans......Jock...Digger....Ellie....Well, though it takes a lot to get me to not change the channel, I didn't through any of "Giant." And along with it, I fully understood why Elizabeth Taylor was revered so much. She had one of those dynamic presences that you only see once in a while. Now, I won't claim to say that I have seen all her movies since then, as I haven't.....and though her beauty was legendary.....among starlets of that era....Ann-Margret was more my cup of tea.......but after seeing "Giant," I understood why Elizabeth Taylor was a star. May she rest in peace....

Maybe I will get around to watching "Butterfield 8," "Cat On A Hot Tin Roof," and "Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf," but I definitely want to see some of the Taylor-Burton collaborations. I had never really gotten the infatuation with the two of them as a couple, until now. Looking at all the photo galleries of the two that have been online the past few days, I get it. Some have called them the "Brangelina" of their time. I don't think Pitt and Jolie have half the chemistry of these two. That takes nothing away from them, as Angelina Jolie is one of the most beautiful women in the world......but Richard Burton (who was one of the most uniquely handsome men I have ever seen) and Elizabeth Taylor were one of the most dynamic couples Tinseltown has ever seen....on screen and off!