Thursday, July 14, 2011

A Bucket List, Part 3!

This week, work-wise, has been a very interesting week. From an interview standpoint, the cup runneth over. I was beginning to wonder where my next round of interviews for stories were going to come from. Now, with ten this week, and one already lined up for next, I'm in good shape.

As I've often written, if I could pick out one of the things I do that I love more than anything else, it would be the interview process. First of all, as unprofessional that it might be for me to say, I'm a fan--of a lot of people. I truly look at it as a blessing to have gotten to talk to as many people that I admire that I have. Secondly, I love asking an artist a question that they're not expecting. That pause you get when you've asked Kenny Rogers about a 1978 album cut rather than "How did you feel the first time you heard 'The Gambler'...is one of the greatest feelings in the world....

My theme this month has been "Bucket Lists." So, I thought I would apply that to interviews. Who would I like to sit down and talk to that I haven't? Some of these, I never will...but it doesn't hurt to dream! I broke this down into four categories, because I didn't want to turn it into "Ten Musical Acts I've Never Interviewed," but that's where I'll start.

MUSIC: Reba McEntire: She's one of the top performers that I've never talked to. I would love that opportunity sometime in the future. An actress, a singer, and a businesswoman, there's so many angles.

Dolly Parton: Speaking of angles...You know, even if she didn't have a massive amount of sex appeal and charisma, she still would be the greatest female songwriter in Country Music history. Between those songs, Dollywood, and the fact that she keeps creating great new music like her latest, Better Day, the possibilities are endless.

SPORTS: Jimmy Johnson: OK, I am a Dallas Cowboys fan. You all know that one. But, I don't think I have any more admiration for a public figure than Johnson. Simply put, I think he's an absolute genius. Cocky? Sure. Maybe a little over-the-top at times? Sure. But, having observed his coaching and television work, I would love to sit down and talk to this man and see what makes him tick.

Joe Gibbs: OK, Cowboys fans, I'm sorry. No, I'm really not. While I could never root for Gibbs' Redskins when they were playing "America's Team," how could you have anything against this man. He's one of the nicest guys that has ever coached in the NFL, and talking to him about character, I think would be a great conversation. He definitely knows a lot about it!

POLITICS: Lamar Alexander: As a Tennessean, I was a child during his term as Governor. I've always admired the work that he did, but also he was the link between the "Good Ole Boy" days of old in Tennessee and the modern-day era. Those old days weren't so bad. He could agree with a Democrat like the late Ned McWherter, and disagree with someone in his own party. That's bi-partisan!

Bill Clinton: No matter what one thinks of the 42nd President's personal life, I don't think that anyone could disagree with him being one of the greatest politicians of all time. He knows people, and it shows. The man seems equally at home at the U.N. or a Hickman County Football game, and you don't see that every day---from either party.

MEDIA: Dan Rather: I was seven when Walter Cronkite retired, and with CBS being the most-watched network during most of my TV addict years, Rather was the newsman of my youth. JFK. Chicago '68. So many events, and he was the one transmitting the news to the people. It would be neat to hear his thoughts as he watched history unravel.

Bill O'Reilly: Some of you aren't going to like this one, but it's my list. The man fascinates me. I don't always agree with the FOX nighttime host, but I love watching him. I guess my favorite part of his show is the mailbag at the end. Is he smug or just confident? So are the mysteries of life!

Well, I've got to think about a couple more of these lists....So I will do that now. Have a good week, everyone!