Thursday, July 28, 2011

More Random Ruminations

It has been a very busy past couple of weeks......There's a lot of things to talk about......So in honor of Joe Biddle, here's my Random Ruminations of the week....

The NFL / Well, it’s over. The lockout has come to an end. Now, we can concentrate on the truly important things about the league – Where will Brett Favre play? This time, I think he is actually…..well, maybe, retired. After last season, why would he put himself through that again? He is familiar with Andy Reid’s scheme, having played under him in Green Bay. But, I don’t see “Favre-watch” being Ed Werder’s assignment in August. I hope he doesn’t come back to play for the Eagles, though. I rooted for him as a Viking for a lot of reasons, but if it came down to the Philadelphia Eagles winning a Super Bowl, or the lockout continuing….I would choose the latter. In other NFL news, the Tennessee Titans have signed Matt Hasselbeck to a 3-year, $21M deal. Seven million a year? To Hasselbeck? I have a feeling before it’s all said and done, some fans in Middle Tennessee are going to wish that Jeff Fisher was back in town. Nothing against Mike Munchak, but the Titans seem to me as exciting as a cardboard dinner!

Country Music Hall Of Fame: Nobody has asked my opinion on this, but I will offer it. 2012 is just a few months away, and if any voters for the Hall are reading this, I know that the revolving category for induction next year is Musician. So, with that said, if 2012 is the year of the Picker? What about Ricky Skaggs in the post-1980 category? Strait, Reba, and Alabama are all in – so should he. Jerry Reed in the pre-1980 category, as he was one of the most dazzling talents of all time, and was much more than a comedy actor. And, in the Musician category….Donald Eugene Ulrich, better known as Don Rich, leader of Buck Owens’ Buckaroos. Was there any musical performer that was so much a key part of another’s sound? I don’t think so. Reed and Skaggs are fairly good bets, but I hope the Hall realizes that there was some great musicianship that took place away from Music City. Nothing against Buck, but I don’t know if Don Rich doesn’t have as many admirers in the business as the Boss Buckaroo.

BACK TO SCHOOL: It’s been twenty years since I have went “Back To School,” but is it weird that I am looking forward to hopefully going to Wal-Mart this weekend to get my daughter’s Back To School stuff? Maybe it’s just getting it out of the way, so I’m not running around in too many circles the week after next……but, I can’t wait to hit the store this weekend!

CONGRATULATIONS – Two of my good friends, Sheila Wooten and Tommy Vann, from Kix 96 in Centerville tied the knot in a lavish ceremony in Hickman County last week. OK, maybe it wasn’t so lavish, but they couldn’t have made better choices. Best wishes for a long and happy life together.

PASSAGES: On the other side of that fence, Burns Church of Christ lost two longtime members this past week with the passing of Elsie Crumpler and Christine Alheit. I was proud to say that I knew them both. My sympathy to their families.

FRIDAY NIGHT LIGHTS: Though this appears to be the first year since 1994 that I won’t be behind a microphone for High School Football on Friday nights, I will still have my pen and keyboard in hand. I will be covering Bacon County High School football for the NEWS COURIER in Alma, GA. They’ve got a new head football coach named Bobby Johns who lives and breathes football. I’ll have more updates as the season goes along.

WASHINGTON DEBT CEILING: Who knows how this debt situation will end up. What amazes me is how stubborn both political parties are being about this. I have never seen a situation where the Democrats or the Republicans were totally right or totally wrong on an issue. Boehner seems like he won’t cooperate with anyone, and President Obama looks like he won’t budge either. A compromise needs to be had. Who will be the first to blink?

AMY WINEHOUSE: I won’t tell you that I was her biggest fan. Had nothing against her, but “Rehab” was the only song that I was familiar with. I just found it sad that I saw a lot of conversations this past week with a lot of “Better than thous” condemning anyone who had a self-destructive life. I doubt very seriously that any of the “27 Club,” as they are now being referred to as, set out to die. But, one thing to remember. Before Amy Winehouse was a star, sex symbol, addict, or whatever….she was someone’s daughter. And, for those who want to point the finger, were it not for the grace of God, she could have been yours.

JORDAN HILL HAS LEFT THE BUILDING – Though I continue to work for various publications in Tennessee, since last October, I have been one of the contributing writers for THE NEWS COURIER. Tuesday was a sad day as Jordan Hill left the paper to embark on her college career at Valdosta State. Write the name down, folks. She’s just eighteen, but you know how you have a feeling about certain people. She’s going places. I might end up working for her one day! The best of luck to you Jordan, and remember….”Where’ve You Been!”