Thursday, January 9, 2014

A Few Words To Live...And Hope By

We tend to change as we get older. I know I have. Some changes have been for the better, but there are there are times that I think I have regressed as a human being over the years. I'm just being honest.  Aside from writing blogs and making an occasional post on Facebook that talks about personal stuff, I don't really talk to a lot of people when I get upset. I figure that people have heard it before, and everyone has problems - and there are people with a lot worse ones than I have. Again, I know that this week. I've talked to them!

That being said, this is my blog - and you can choose not to read it - LOL.....,so this is my place to vent. It's just been one of those weeks where you want to scream and pull your hair out - which incidentally, is a lot less of a problem for me than it is for others. (See? I am looking at the bright side!)

I am just tired of struggling as much as I do. Then again, I know we all are. But, there have been a few times this week that I have thought about crawling in a hole and staying there awhile. But, I didn't. There are at least two reasons for this. One, I'm a ______ (fill in the blanks, but I will say scaredy-cat, and it's been too cold in the dirt!) 

Secondly, there's another reason - faith. As I have written before, since moving back to Tennessee in August 2011, every time the going has gotten a little rough - God has stepped in and shown me the way. He was there before then, but I was a little too blind to see. (That sounds like an "Amazing" song idea!)....I'm not standing on a pulpit saying how great and noble I am - I'm not. I am far from a Bible scholar, and my mind isn't always focused on the things it should be. But, I do listen and observe more than I used to, and I know there's a higher power. I take comfort in some of the great lessons I have heard over the past few years - whether it be Devin Pickard, Rodney Rochelle, Matthew Hiatt, James Hinkle, Danny Turner, or Donnie Craig, and every now and then I'll hear a verse that makes me think. Case in point:

Jeremiah 29:11-14 / For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call on me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart. I will be found by you,” declares the Lord, and will bring you back from captivity.

Philippians 4:6-7 / Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And, the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. 

Again, I'm not a preacher. But, it says nothing in either of these verses about needing to worry and fret. In fact, quite the opposite. So, I'm going to try not to do that. God has always been there, and he will now. Besides, another verse in the Bible says he knows the number of the hairs on my head. (He doesn't count very high, at least in my case!) It's all going to be ok. Patience. Faith. I think I can. I know he can. 

Well, closing for the night. I am not trying to be haughty or holier than thou. I am a Christian, but my batting average isn't the best sometimes. But, if there's anyone out there who has had a week like I have - or worse, there's a few verses that show there is hope.....Food for thought!