Sunday, January 12, 2014

Clearing The Air!

Well, Championship Sunday is one week away. In about 168 hours from the writing of this, we will know which teams will make it to the Super Bowl. Before I say anything further about that, I feel I need to clarify some recent posts I have made on Facebook concerning the favorite college team of several of you - the Tennessee Vols.

For the record, I am not a fan of the school - save for Pat Summitt and the Lady Basketball team. They have always been the epitome of class and sportsmanship, and Summitt might very well be the best coach to ever do it in the college ranks. But, Vols fans can get a little crazy sometimes.

In the days when they were great, their fans weren't satisfied with beating Coble State Community Basketweaving Tech  - or any other team besides Florida they played in September - 45-10. It had to be worse. Then, on the post-game of the radio broadcast, their fans would always - after a rare loss - say 'We just ought to fire Phil Fulmer.' Hmm...how did that work out?

And, Fulmer was a part of it too. He's a class individual. Don't get me wrong. He represented the school well as a player and a coach. But, remember he got the job when Johnny Majors was out sick. Fulmer stepped in and delivered some big wins during the 1992 season, and replaced Majors the next season - as it should have been. It was Fulmer's time, and history bore that out. But, I would always get lectured at Church by people who were Vols fans about how my favorite team, the Dallas Cowboys, did Tom Landry wrong in 1989. 

That was when Jerry Jones bought the team, and his first act was firing Landry and bringing in Jimmy Johnson. Was the move ill-timed? Yes, and twenty-five years later, Jones would likely tell you that was his greatest regret - the way it was handled. It was Johnson's time, just like it was Fulmer's. However, I have never heard one Vols fan talk about Majors being done wrong. So, there I said it. Again, both moves were the right ones, but could have been handled different. 

More importantly, I love to pick at UT fans because it's fun....(Smile, Candi!) There's really no ill will meant, as much as I am just a smart aleck. So, what does this have to do with the NFL?

Really, not much - in my mind. But, Denver - one of the four teams left standing - has a QB named Peyton Manning. Simply put, when his career has been written, there may not be a better QB in the history of the game. But, because of his Vols pedigree, there are more Colts and Broncos fans in Tennessee than you can shake a stick at. But, (yes, I am saying this!) Manning is class. He never beat Spurrier...but he's class. I hope he's able to get a Lombardi trophy for the Broncos, because the Colts had made the decision that he was old news. (For a lot of reasons, stories like Manning as a Bronco and Favre playing well as a Vikings QB really make me smile. Sometimes, people do have more in the tank than their teams think!) 

I get the Manning-love, when it comes to Peyton. But, Eli? As in Ole Miss? As in never worn UT orange or running through the "T." He's a great QB - tough for me as some of his greatest moments have been against the Cowboys, but why a Vols fans considered his wins over the Pats as "victories," I don't understand.....But, I digress. Vols fans, don't hate me, I just love needling you. For what it's worth, I think Butch Smith will prove to be a good hire.

So, oh yeah, back to next week....Here's my early picks....

NFC Championship: Seattle 16, San Francisco 14
I really am not looking forward to this one - either way. Not because of any ill will towards either, but they are just boring. San Fran has more offensive fire, but when they play each other, it's usually a defensive game that just puts one to sleep. At the end of the day, San Francisco has the better team, but Seattle is at home....so there's my pick. You don't beat Seattle much on their turf.

AFC Championship: Patriots 38, Colts 35 - Do you remember 1992-1995 when the 49ers and the Cowboys games were better than the Super Bowl? That's the way I feel about this one. These are the two best teams in the league, with the two best QB's and a coach in Bill Belichick that might very well be the best to have ever done it. Hate them, like them, whatever, Tom Brady and Company seemingly get it done. I think that's the difference. It's going to be close, historic, epic, and likely better than the Super Bowl, but though I would like to see Manning in the big dance one more time....I think New England is the more complete team.....but it's going to be close....

OK, those are my thoughts. Who do you think goes to New York for the Super Bowl?