Tuesday, July 3, 2012

ANDY GRIFFITH, WHAT WAS YOUR HURRY?

I am writing this from a hotel room in Oklahoma, as I am on assignment for work this week. I flew out of Nashville this morning, and when the plane landed in Denver about 9 today, I immediately checked my cell phone for email as well as the latest news. I saw the headline "Andy Griffith Dies At 86." I was saddened, but I guess it was one of those obituaries that you know is going to come at some point. After all, most of the other cast members of the show have passed, so it wasn't the world's biggest shock. But, suddenly, the world felt a little different.

Since October 3, 1960 - "The Andy Griffith Show" has become one of America's most enduring and beloved TV series. There was something about that mythical town of Mayberry that no matter what was wrong in the world - everything was as simple as Goober airing up the tires, or going over to Mt. Pilot for the blue plate special, and hoping you would run into the "Fun Girls." I think we all have seen each of the 249 episodes time in and time out. What was your favorite? I'll tell you mine in a minute!

I immediately began to think about Andy Griffith the actor. There were so many sides to him other than Andy Taylor. If you ever saw him opposite Patricia Neal in 1957's "A Face In The Crowd," I think you would stand amazed at his skills. He was nothing like the easy going Andy on TAGS, nothing at all. He was vicious, cold, and downright cruel - and excellent at it. Ditto that for 1983's "Murder In Coweta County," where he gave a chilling portrayal of Georgia tycoon John Wallace, who killed one of his employees on his farm. Truth be told, I don't know if I ever saw a Griffith performance any stronger than either one of these. He also was superb in Billy Bob Thornton's "Daddy And Them," which may not be for everybody - but he was over the top in it. 

Then, there is the legacy of Mayberry. Think about this, folks. There have been Churches that use the morals of the plotlines in the show for their lessons. You can't say that about any other fictitious series. I am going to one of those Churches right now, and I can't wait to see these lessons at work. That, my friends, is leaving a mark. 

Ok, my favorite episode. Do you remember "Man In A Hurry." A man ends up stranded in Mayberry, and the slow pace of the town makes him madder and madder for a while - until he ends up charmed like the rest of us. I guess today we might be asking Andy Griffith what his hurry was. However, 86 years is nothing to sneeze at. And, I can imagine there's a fishing tournament at Myers Lake this weekend....and Aunt Bee is cooking something really good....and Barney is on the phone to Juanita singing right about now...I have a feeling that someone is about to join in....Yes, Andy Griffith may be gone, but I can imagine the heavens sound full!