Saturday, July 28, 2012

BACK IN THE SOUTHFORK SADDLE!


Some of my best friends were starting to wonder if I had slipped out of myself the past few weeks. I’ll be the first to admit that I have had some mood swings the last few years, but some people have been very concerned since June 13.

That was the day that TNT premiered the new ‘Dallas.’ Of course, I need not remind you about the legendary CBS series, which ran for fourteen seasons before ending back in 1991. I was very excited about the fact that TNT was going to bring the series back. And, I was excited beyond measure when I got to interview Linda Gray and Josh Henderson during their visit to Music City last month during the CMA Music Festival. But, somewhere after the first episode, I kind of got lost just a little bit.

For starters, life is a little bit more involved than it was back during the 80s. I was a little bit younger after all, and knew not what a deadline was. Two, the show is on Wednesday night, and I have been trying to make more of a commitment to Church on that night. And, the best way for me to watch the show is by buying it on iTunes the day after it runs, so I have to admit it hasn’t been as much of a priority as it was, say in 1987.

Also, the show moves fast – lightning speed, actually. They only filmed ten episodes this season, so you have to hang on tight. For a few episodes, it seemed that every character was out to put it to each other, which wasn’t too terribly different from the glory days of the original. Larry Hagman was getting some great lines, and Henderson found his way as John Ross, but it just seemed like there was no rhyme or reason. J.R., though known as the man viewers loved to hate, had always been a sympathetic character to me for a lot of reasons. No matter what he did, you felt he was doing so out of (maybe a sometimes misguided, but still) love of family. That hadn’t been there.

But, last week’s episode changed most of that. The Ewings bonded together against a common enemy, which was always the show’s strength. They could fight with each other brilliantly, but go after any one of them...and beware of the whole brood. Bobby – now the emotional patriarch of the family, came to the defense of nephew John Ross – who has spent the first seven episodes battling, and stood up to evil businessman Vincente – who has made life rough on the Ewings as of late.

There’s just two more episodes before the show takes a hiatus. Of course, the season finale was always a benchmark of the original, and it’s going to be tough to top. However, there looks to be plenty of emotion. Bobby has been fighting a possibly fatal disease this season, and it looks like he and J.R are going to have some very emotional moments in the final two episodes this season. I have a feeling that I am going to be on the edge of my seat for these episodes.

Overall, I would say the series deserves a B-minus for the first season. Of the original characters, Hagman and Ken Kercheval (Cliff Barnes) don’t seem to have missed a beat, Duffy had a slow start, but has gotten more interesting, and Sue Ellen is just kind of there – but I have a feeling that will change in season two. Of the newcomers, Josh Henderson is the star. He makes the John Ross character vulnerable enough that you have to like him – just like Larry Hagman did with J.R. I also like the character of Harris, the ex-husband of Ann, Bobby’s wife (need a scorecard?) He’s not a nice guy at all, and he’s actually kind of creepy – but Mitch Pileggi, the actor who plays him, makes the character one that you have to snicker at. Will this ‘Dallas’ last fourteen seasons? Who knows, but I’ve got to say that I am starting to get impressed with what I am seeing....just don’t tell me what happens until Thursday afternoon. Thank God for iTunes!