Friday, July 20, 2012

TOMATO OR NO TOMATO, THAT IS THE QUESTION!


Have you ever had one of those days where you just got so busy That you forgot to pull aside and do the little things – like eat? LOL...That happened to me today. Had the usual schedule, a couple of interviews and work-related things, and about 4pm, it dawned on me. I hadn’t eaten yet, and I was feeling it.

As it turned out, I just happened to be within a few miles of a Nashville landmark – the Loveless Cafe. So, I pulled in to regain my state of mind. I was sitting at my table, and a woman was talking to her children about some of the food on their menu when her daughter asked her a question, “Mama, what do fried green tomatoes taste like?” The mother replied, “Oh, honey, they are the most delicious things you have ever eaten,” she said.

You know, to that woman, she may have been telling the truth. But, my thought at the time was ‘Why does a mother lie to her child like that?’ Ok, to each his own, I know. But, one of the biggest traditions in the south is slicing a tomato, putting salt on it, and telling everyone how good it is. Really?

Somewhere in the Bible, I think there is an explanation about tomatoes. “And the Lord said, thou cut up the tomato in 4,040 pieces (40 is a big number in the Bible, after all), and put in Chili. The other way you should consume a tomato is on a Cheeseburger – provided you have it buried under all the other toppings.”

Am I being a little harsh? Alas, maybe. There may be something enjoyable about tomatoes by themselves. I am still trying to search for that answer. If you like the vegetable, I humbly apologize. But, yuck! Chili would not be chili without tomatoes, though cheeseburgers would still have their shine. Now, I guess a BLT would only be 1/3 as good, but a BT would probably settle a little easier on my stomach.

Well, that so ends my tirade on tomatoes. I have nothing against tomato eaters. We all have our crosses to bear, I guess. Hey, give me credit.....this blog was meant to make you chuckle, laugh, or think I’m crazy....rather than be anything heavy. And, that was (and is) the goal!