Thursday, July 5, 2012

HARD ONE TO WRITE


Greetings from Oklahoma! I have had a wonderful holiday here covering the Oil Patch Festival in Drumright. Thanks to Myrna and Rick Sellers and Clif Doyal for having me out here. I may never eat again!

I wanted to also say thanks for the comments regarding Tuesday’s blog concerning the passing of Andy Griffith. I think – more than any other entertainment figure – he was one that transcended cultural lines.

Today, I am going to write about something a little more personal than you might be used to, and truth be told – you might have better things to read today than what I am about to write. But, in talking with some friends of mine, I decided to put these thoughts to paper – or online. Who knows, it might help to type it down – and it might help someone out there to not go down the same path.

As many of you know, I have underwent some life changes over the past….thirty-eight years. I say it like that because from the moment we are born – life is an ever constant world of change. Though I tend to dwell on the past two or three years, change has swirled since the evening of February 17, 1974. And, it will swirl until there’s a date after the dash.

That being said, right now, I am in a place that is a little bit scary and different for me. I never intended to be starting over in life at 38. But, as Forrest Gump – that wise old philosopher once said – “It happens.” That trek in life includes a battle with depression. (I know – we all have been there at some point or another, and I’m not truly comfortable writing about this – but I was told I might feel better after writing this….so here goes!)

We all have self-esteem issues. I can’t pinpoint when mine started. But, I do know when I started to feel different as a human being. It was my eighth grade year in school. I had just started attending Dickson Junior High, and it seemed that a few weeks into that year – everyone’s attention was focused on who their date was for the annual Dickson County Fair. I didn’t have one. What’s worse was I got turned down when I asked somebody. This may really sound stupid or trite to some, as we all get turned down for something at one point of another, but that was one of those moments that shaped me.

I began to judge myself and self-basis on whether I was dating anyone or not. LOL…Which meant in school, I was pretty much non-existent because I didn’t date until after graduating. I could have asked someone, but get turned down again? Not on your life!

I would love to tell you that my self-esteem issues ended when I reached my twenties. Wrong. I still judged my sense of being on whether I was with anyone or not. If I was, life was ok. If I wasn’t, I was not. Looking back, that wrong decision has affected my life in so many ways.

For starters, I find that I never really started to develop my personality as a human being until the past ten years or so. As a result of feeling rejected or the fear of rejection, I backed away from getting to know people. Some might have even looked at me as a snob – I don’t know. Truth is, I was (and still am, around people I don’t know) painfully shy. The moment you might think I was a little bit different is when I would have shrunk back into my little hole. I see where that was wrong.

Once I did begin to date, well, let’s just say I was twenty-one going on sixteen. I didn’t have the experience of relating to someone else so I made some mistakes. Some I don’t regret…and maybe a couple I do…

But, the past is the past, right? Well, that’s what I keep telling myself. At 38, I have finally realized that it’s ok to be….alone. Now, understand, I don’t like it that way. But, there’s a saying that nobody can love you if you don’t love yourself. Have I spent years running from that one. If you are reading this and you think differently – think again, please. You will save yourself a lot of bad decisions and heartache. Work on YOU. It’s easier doing it now….than later.

At this point in my life, I am trying to pick up the pieces of not doing this earlier. I am trying to get more involved in Church and other activities – not because I am the son of Charles and Paulette Dauphin, and that’s what I do – but rather, that’s where I need to be. I am trying to be a little more assertive and confident in my career, and that has paid off more than I can tell you. At times, my career has been a cocoon for me. If something wasn’t going right in life or a relationship, instead of standing up for what I might have felt was right – I shifted my energies to what I knew I could do – an interview, an article, a football game. I’m not saying I was wrong or right, because sometimes that was the best thing to do. But, looking back, might there have been times where that was a mistake? Maybe.

I hope this blog post doesn’t come across as arrogant as I think it might. We all go through valleys – emotionally, spiritually, or financially. I am no different than anyone else, and I guarantee you that someone will read this who has it a lot worse than I do. I have family, friends, two Church homes that I love and appreciate very much, and a career that I thank God for every day. Chuck Dauphin has it pretty good right now, overall. But, I am working on each of those three areas. Some are a little easier than others, but I pray I get there.

So, in closing….(which you are probably grateful for), let me just say to take time for you. Learn to be still….even if life and others make you feel that you need to be a certain way – and let me say that I am not putting my mistakes in life off on anyone but myself – but nobody knows YOU better than YOU. Never be ashamed or think lower of yourself because you might not be where you think you want to be.

OK, that’s enough of the self-examination. This is Chuck Dauphin – signing off from the windy state known as Oklahoma – alone (for now) and ok with it – for today!