Monday, August 6, 2012

AN INTERVIEW BUCKET LIST


I was going through a box of discs the other day as I was trying to locate an interview I needed for an article. I started to go through them, and I realized just how blessed I have been in my career. Jones. Haggard. Lynn. Parton, so many legends in Country Music that I have been privileged to talk to. There also have been superstars with names like Shelton, Lambert, and Underwood. Occasionally, there have been a few from outside music – such as Georgia coach Mark Richt, “Dallas” star Linda Gray, or “Waltons” creator Earl Hamner, Jr.....So, I started to think about people I would love to cross off the interview list. I came up with twelve, some from the music community, and a few who aren’t. If anyone is out there who can help me with any of these, I would take it!

Music

Garth Brooks – He’s the biggest selling artist in American music, but it goes deeper for me. As I have said before, it was Garth that made Country not only cool, but as respected as any other form of music. Also, his catalog only gets better with time, including my personal favorite Brooks tune, 1992’s “What She’s Doin’ Now.”

Amy Grant – As someone who has grown up in Nashville, Mrs. Vince Gill is one of the city’s biggest goodwill ambassadors. I’ve always been a fan of her music, especially songs like “Baby Baby” and the tender “I Will Lead You Home,” and she’s still one of the most beautiful women – inside and out that Nashville has ever seen!

Faith Hill – I’m going to confess. Once upon a time, I was a member of the Faith Hill fan club. Whether that is professional for me to admit or not is besides the point. But, it would be really neat to come full circle from fan to interviewer. And, I’m still a huge fan of her music. When she’s on, she’s on!

Reba McEntire – In my opinion, she’s the biggest star that I have not interviewed. She embodies class, perseverance, and hard work. Again, I was buying her music when I was a teenager, and those albums still rank as some of my absolute favorites.

Barbara Mandrell – Ok, I have talked to Barbara before. Back in 2006, when RCA released a tribute album to the singer, but this is one that I would love to do a long-form interview about the entire gamut of her career. She started touring when she was eleven, and has seen so much during her career. One of these days...

Lionel Richie – His music was the soundtrack of my life growing up, as evidenced by the Tuskegee disc that has become one of the years’ best sellers. After all of these years, the guy has still got it. I would love to ask him about some of the stories behind his great records, and those who covered him long before it was cool to do so, like Conway Twitty.

Acting

Larry Hagman – As many who know me can attest, I was a “Dallas” fan when I was six years old. I think his portrayal of JR Ewing is one of television’s all time greatest characters. So many people think of the oilman as a ruthless evil (fill in the blank), but there was (and is) more to the character than that. Even at 80, he’s stiil ruling the Southfork roost on the TNT reboot.

Sports

Terry Bradshaw – I am not a Steelers fan. But, with Terry, you don’t really have to be. I have read his books over the years, and have so much respect for the way Bradshaw is able to laugh at life – and himself.

Jimmy Johnson – If I had to choose one coach to lead my team – college or pro – it would be Johnson. I think he is nothing short of a genius. I don’t know if I would be able to ask him anything that potent, because I think – more than anyone else on this list – I would simply be in awe.
Politicians

Lamar Alexander – From a Tennessee state level, no politician – save Ned Ray McWherter fascinates me more. Alexander rose to prominence during the 1970s, one of the state’s most turbulent times. He lost to, and then replaced one of the most controversial leaders the state has ever had in Ray Blanton, and carved out one of the most legendary careers in Tennessee history. And, he could play a mean piano on “Hee Haw.”

Bill Clinton – From a charisma standpoint, I don’t know if anyone could match the former governor of Arkansas. He could be equally at home at a high school football game as he could at the United Nations. And, though I have voted on the other side of the ticket more, I actually believe that he felt in his heart that he was making a difference in people’s lives – more so than any other president we’ve ever had.

Colin Powell – I close with a man who really isn’t a politician. Both parties have tried to lasso him in, and he hasn’t bit. I had a chance to hear him speak last fall, and it became apparent to me how much America is the weaker for him not electing to run for office. He’s simply one of the most brilliant people I have ever heard. By far, he would make a great choice for the nation’s top office – or any office he so chose!

So, I’ll update this one in a few years, and let you know how I did!