Saturday, August 11, 2012

JUST AROUND THE CORNER!

Checking in today from the hometown of one Minnie Pearl, Centerville, TN......This is where I live, so I don’t know why I introduced this blog like that – but it sounded cool. Today is just one of those days that you know that God has created. It’s sunny, and the view off of Kayjoe’s Hill is spectacular. At least four people have commented about the weather today. Today is one of those that lets you know that Autumn is just around the corner. And, I am always excited about that!

Of course, another aspect to this time of the year is that you begin to see a lot of more clothing on people reflecting their choice of athletic teams. Here, that means Hickman, East Hickman, Dickson County, or Creek Wood, all of which kick off their 2012 seasons next week. Besides high schools, college football looms large. While being a native of Dickson County, I never really thought of Hickman County as being too “Southern,” it’s interesting to note that there seems to be a lot more Crimson Tide fans here than in Cougars country. Don’t get me wrong, as long as Ed Sheley and Shane Buchanan are still kicking, there will be Alabama fans in Dickson County, but it seems a lot more even here.

That’s not to say that you don’t see a lot of orange and white. I have to admit that I have never been a huge UT fan – aside from cheering on the Lady Vols under former Coach Pat Summitt, but living in the Volunteer State – it is a way of life, and people live it. I think that UT polo shirts sometimes are the default attire for Church or going to Wal-Mart – and you see a lot more of it this time of year. And, that’s a good thing. The arguments are starting to heat up on sports talk about who’s the best in the SEC and NFL, George Plaster is back, it is indeed Football Time In Tennessee.

While my NFL heart will always beat to the rhythm of the Dallas Cowboys, (though I find myself fascinated by the New York Jets and Rex Ryan), I have no allegiance in the college world. If I travel somewhere that has a team, I do try to buy a T-Shirt, but I tend to go more for the quarterbacks than a team. I was a Barker Alabama fan, a Manning UT fan, as well as a Couch UK fan. Nowadays, I don’t even have a favorite player, but watching a college game is different. There’s a certain extent of pomp and circumstance that goes along with the college game that you don’t get with the NFL. I still prefer pro, but the excitement level is a lot different.

Anyway, this blog really has no point to make. I don’t have an ax to grind with anyone. I haven’t had a lot of time to study teams and figure out who’s going to be good. I don’t even know if I can make a prediction about the Super Bowl or the SEC (How bout this – New England and the Giants in the former, and the winner of the Alabama – LSU game takes all? That’s a stretch, huh?), but I am just going to enjoy it as much as I can this year! After all, it’s just around the corner!